Cliffed out cat

Talk about Cougar Hunting with Dogs
Baydog
Facebook ID: 0

Cliffed out cat

Postby Baydog » Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:32 pm

Hey guys new to this forum. Had a question that I think I know the answer to, but wanted to here the opinions of people that have way more experience than I do.
Found a last night female track yesterday. Have some younger dogs so training was on. It was going into some canyon county here in CO. Turned loose and the dogs were gone. They trailed down into that canyon. I got to the edge and could barely hear them and services on them was spotty. When I got service all dogs showed treed, could here them better and sounded treed. When I got close I found one of my dogs on a ledge and in the cats face. My other older dog was no where to be seen and haven’t heard her open in a while. I think my two older dogs had it on the ledge. One got knocked off and didn’t make it. The other finally chased the cat off the ledge and treed it again.
I think this female lives in there cause I found a bunch of tracks and scat in there. My question is do you think this cat knew the ledge would be safe place so that’s where she went and sucked the dogs to? Or is it just bad luck? Wonder if the next time I find a cat heading that way I should just keep driving? I feel that cat knew where to go and went straight to the only cliff wall in that county and feel that it will do it again. I’ve heard when you have a lot of dogs it’s the dogs that knock each other off not so much the cat. This could have been the case cause the ledge was pretty small. Only had two up there and the pup was below barking.
Thanks and happy hunting
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: Cliffed out cat

Postby Beebout-it » Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:42 pm

Sorry to hear that u lost a dog.. dog gone!! The dogs are part of the family at my house. I don't believe that they purposely go to the cliff and get bayed on purpose. I think its just thats where the dogs got pressure on them and they didn't have a tree to climb. Obviously that's just my opinion. Not everytime but I'd say 80 percent of the time I bay a female on a ledge if I look around she will have little kittens hidden close by.
Baydog

Postby Baydog » Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:46 pm

Yeah my dogs are family too. My lil hunting buddy is pretty upset about it. I’ll just get him another one. She was my first hound and taught me a lot. Well maybe it was just bad luck. Gonna be a touch nervous turning loose going that direction. Thanks
Cwsharer

Postby Cwsharer » Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:51 pm

Could just be where she was laid up and didn’t have time to leave or didn’t want to before the dogs got to her ?
Baydog

Postby Baydog » Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:12 am

Yeah hard telling.
Found her two weeks ago heading in the same canyon. Just couldn’t turn loose. Did two days of circling her and she never came out.
Cwsharer

Postby Cwsharer » Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:45 am

Maybe she got some puppies in there , you will catch her slippin eventually

Return to “Lion Hunting”