Talk about Cougar Hunting with Dogs
rosin
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

training

Postby rosin » Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:50 am

what age should one start pups to tree mountain lion
what are some training technecs people use ?
i am just getting into hunting lions in alberta and looking for any helpfull hints or tips people could give me
thanx
Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Mike Leonard » Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:20 pm

There could be a book written on this with lots of great advice from many. Here's what I would do if I was you. I would get ahold of the most knowledable hound and cat man in your area and get some advice from him. start you pups playing what we call puppy games as soon as they show intrest. Drags, hide and seek, and later introduce them to live trapped game animals . But seek that hunter out you will save yourself a lot of headaches and a lot of money in the long run. Also do archives searches on training thru this forum. You can find a wealth of information stored right before your very finger tips if you spend the time. Working with lion hounds is a time consuming some time frustrating sport. If you can call it sport. For most of us that have been at it a long time it is neither a sport or a hobby it is a passion and a way of life.

Good luck, you are hanging around with the right crowd here on the Big Game Houndsmen Forum.
MIKE LEONARD
Somewhere out there.............
treeing walkers
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby treeing walkers » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:01 pm

Do what mike said and then when the snow hits the ground go find you some lion or ?? tracks to walk out with your pup. It's alot of walking but sooner or later your pup will catch on if its got it in them. I got a buddy that never trained a hound before and got a pup out of proven stock and worked with the pup daily. When the pup got around 5-6 months old he started walking the pup out on tracks he found in the snow. He walked ALOT of tracks out but finally his pup took off one day and trailed it and treed it all on her own. I think she was 8-9 months old before she would flat out go by herself and try to trail it to the tree ?? But he wanted to do it the hard way and not with any proven hounds and he did. But last time I talked to him he had another pup and was looking for a veteran hound to let his pup run behind. LOL
If It Wasn't For Hounds, Beer, and Kids I Would Be A Wealthy Man
Melanie Hampton
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Melanie Hampton » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:03 am

What Mike Leonard and treeing walkers just said are the best answer IMO

We did both.. We got a pup out of proven stock.. Got a lot of training advice from some guys who knew what the hell they were doing and then started walking tracks out with our dog..
Melanie Hampton
Home of OutWest Hounds

You've only got 3 choices in life
give in, give up, or give it all you got.

http://www.outwesthounds.com
southwestwalkers
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 100000302850031

Postby southwestwalkers » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:57 am

Hey, rosin

Mainly all of the above. All I would ad is foucus on his handling for now as well. Get the pups in the woods as much as you can even if its just for short hikes. Good luck :D

Robb
For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God - 1 Corinthians 1:18 (NIV)
rosin
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby rosin » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:22 am

thanks for the advice i got 3 pups all out of proven stock and i have a cat hunter who i got 2 of the pups from these pups are 10 weeks old and he is more than willing to help me train these dogs i just wanterd others opionions and ideas i try to get as much info as possible i want thise to turn out to be really good cat hound and aprreciate all your replys and tips you can offer and the other one is from provrn lines as well he is 12 weeks old they are all blue tick hounds from the cameron lines
nmplott
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby nmplott » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:22 am

ryan goodwin
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby ryan goodwin » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:29 pm

I start my pups at about8 months old and i do walk them out on tracks and pretty soon they catch on to what they are to do.
southwestwalkers
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 100000302850031

Postby southwestwalkers » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:40 pm

ryan goodwin,

Your on it thats what Ive done along with running scent drags and getting him in the woods a few time a week they catch on and the natural abilities take over...

Robb
For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God - 1 Corinthians 1:18 (NIV)

Return to “Lion Hunting”