Hopmans cat crazy walkers

Talk about Cougar Hunting with Dogs
Bearkiller
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Hopmans cat crazy walkers

Postby Bearkiller » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:53 pm

I was looking through an old full cry and saw an ad for these dogs. The guy lives in prescott,az. It said in the ad that the dogs had run this lion for 20 miles on dry ground in a strong wind. I don't know if you've ever walked/run 20 miles but thats a LONG ways. If it was 20 miles by roads but only a few miles cross country I wouldn't be surprised. If the dogs do that, I want one. Just wondering if anyone has ever hunted this line of dogs and if so, are they what they cracked up to be?
Melanie Hampton
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Melanie Hampton » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:06 pm

Seen the ad....They might be all that... But why don't you hear more people talking about them other then what you see in the Full Cry ad??

I am kinda calling BS on that one.. I have had dogs end up 20 miles from where I turned them loose.... But that was a couple day later :D
Melanie Hampton
Home of OutWest Hounds

You've only got 3 choices in life
give in, give up, or give it all you got.

http://www.outwesthounds.com
Bearkiller
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Bearkiller » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:13 pm

Those were my thoughts. Thats why I posted this. I've heard the name but don't remember anything that great.
Buddyw
Site Admin
Site Admin
Facebook ID: 100000011567041

Postby Buddyw » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:47 pm

treeing walkers
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby treeing walkers » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:04 am

I would believe it if it was on snow or something like what we got up here high humidity and brush, but on dry dusty ground with the wind blowing....... BS For one the ground the scent was laid on would gone with the wind blowing. And for two their non-humidity and dirt with no brush wouldn't hold the scent for that long back where it was started I don't think.

Have to ask Mike Leonard on this one he hunts NM and would be the same as AZ.
If It Wasn't For Hounds, Beer, and Kids I Would Be A Wealthy Man
southwestwalkers
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 100000302850031

Postby southwestwalkers » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:58 pm

[quote="treeing walkers"] And for two their non-humidity and dirt with no brush wouldn't hold the scent for that long back where it was started I don't think.

I think the guy is reaching with the 20 miles and all but trust me from about July 4th to about the first week in Sept there is plenty of humidity with the monsoons all over NM and AZ. Most think AZ is always a dry desert when there really thinking of the Phoenix or Tucson areas. As far as no brush :?: :?: There are places all over this state that you can't even hike through its so dense with brush and forests where you would think you where in the NW.

Getting back to that guy and the 20 mile stuff its possible especially after a good rain but not likely.......

Just my 2 cents worth and a heads up on AZ and NM :D
For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God - 1 Corinthians 1:18 (NIV)
PRED8R

Postby PRED8R » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:54 am

I'VE FREE CASTED MY DOGS A NUMBER OF TIMES 20 MILES PLUS ALONG WITH OTHER GUYS I HUNT WITH, YEAH THEY ARE POOPED BUT THEY WILL DO IT EVEN IN 90 DEGREE TEMPS. I'LL TELL YOU WHAT THUOGH, IN THAT LAST FIVE MILES I DON'T THINK THEY WOULD STRIKE A LION TRACK IF YOU THREW A LIVE LION IN THE MIDDLE OF THEM :lol: THEY ARE PRETTY SPENT BY THEN!
Bearkiller
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Bearkiller » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:43 am

I am begining to wonder if we are talking kilometers or miles. 20 miles across country in that rocky country is a LONG ways. I'm not talking about roading dogs. Been there done that, got the blown pads. I'm talking across country. If you're casting your dogs 20 miles I'll drive down there to watch it. 20 miles isn't impossible but ya'll act like its nothing. I agree with the monsoon stuff, its the same here in Utah. I went back and read the ad. It said bare ground not dry. Maybe it was after a rain. The lion was definately wet. I assumed blood though since the dogs look neither tired or wet. he says his 6 month old pups have been treeing cats since 8 weeks old. I've had quite a few 8 week old pups. Never saw one do anything but eat and poop. Again, I can see driving 20 miles around on roads to the dogs but not across country. I lived in Washington, I hunted there. I roaded a good dog that was in good shape being hunted 5 nights a week 3 times up the long rail road grade in the promised lands. Its seemed like it was 50 miles from one end to the other, it was 7. My dog was TIRED. Thats 21 miles. the man I was hunting with who had good dogs, his dogs were in the truck. They were done after one trip. It was a cold rainy night and I believe we caught 5 coons that night so there was some extra races but nothing long at all.
pete richardson
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby pete richardson » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:03 pm

when the tailgate drops
Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Mike Leonard » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:02 pm

MIKE LEONARD
Somewhere out there.............
Buddyw
Site Admin
Site Admin
Facebook ID: 100000011567041

Postby Buddyw » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:33 pm

kdrchuck
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby kdrchuck » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:43 pm

Grzyadms4x4
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Grzyadms4x4 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:59 pm

Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Mike Leonard » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:27 pm

MIKE LEONARD
Somewhere out there.............
Emily
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

TY Mike Leonard

Postby Emily » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:38 am

That was a great read!

Just to add my ignorant two cents...
I have a potlicking housedog who is not a great hunter but he loves to road. I often take him for strolls in the small mountains we have here in the Catskills. If I do a five mile hike (ten miles round trip) up one of our small peaks, my worn out knees stiffen up. My potlicker is probably covering 3X as much ground, and he always wants to road home. One of my favorite views is up a five mile trail that starts exactly 12 miles from home. I sometimes let him run home in front of the Jeep, and he averages between ten and twenty miles an hour, occasionally more going down hill, plus he takes detours to investigate interesting smells, including steep ones into a river gorge that runs next to the road. When he gets home, he sleeps an hour, then is good to go again. Now my Clamour dog gets lots of exercise and is in his prime. But, twenty miles is nothing to him, ten below zero or 85 and humid. [He does move slower in the summer, and stops to drink more often.]
esp

Return to “Lion Hunting”