Limestone County Texas Eurasian Boar and Hide Tanning

Talk about Hog hunting
lightrail

Limestone County Texas Eurasian Boar and Hide Tanning

Postby lightrail » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:27 pm

I hunt with 3 or more black mouth curs. This fall I took two large boars from Limestone Co. The one shown in the attached file is a Eurasian boar and has the best looking coat I've seen. Red, shown, found him in a thick briar patch. I hit the boar in the neck with one shot from a .454 revolver from about 10 yards and it dropped in its tracks but kicked a few times as Red ran in and grabbed an ear. I've tried twice to tan the hide with the hair on, and have yet to give up. The first problem I had was getting the fat off the hide. I'd scrape down to the inside of the hair follicles without being able to differentiate the hide from the fatty flesh attached to it. The second problem was degreasing it. The shield areas of the hide tanned and are in a crust state, but the hind loin areas are still greasy. Has anyone successfully tanned a hog hide? If so, what did you use for a de-greaser?
Attachments
IMG_1557.jpg
Boar hog taken from Limestone Co. Tx
PLOTTMAN55
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Re: Limestone County Texas Eurasian Boar and Hide Tanning

Postby PLOTTMAN55 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:21 pm

Looking good how does them BMC work i got a pup i was planning on useing he really has a nose and wanted to know all i could know bout how cold nose and how they do
HUNT PLOTTS OR HUNT NOTHING AT ALL!!!
lightrail

Re: Limestone County Texas Eurasian Boar and Hide Tanning

Postby lightrail » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:37 pm

PLOTTMAN55 wrote:Looking good how does them BMC work i got a pup i was planning on useing he really has a nose and wanted to know all i could know bout how cold nose and how they do

Okay! It's not too complicated, fortunately. They are all well-muscled working dogs that use sight, hearing and scenting abilities, and there are two basically two camps. One is the Weatherfords Ben and Howard Carnathan camp. These dogs are cattle and woods dogs. The other is the Ladner camp. These dogs were bred to tree. They are all silent on track. The Ladner dogs will open up on treed game. Both are easier to work with, generally, than hounds. They have to be taught to rely on their nose, otherwise they will sight hunt. There's an article in the April 2009 Fur-Fish-Game by Dennis Rushing that gives pup training instructions for bear, cougar, hog, raccoon and squirrel.

The best information for BMC use on large game that I know of is from Maria Davidson. She works for the Louisiana Department of Wildlife. They purchased two BMCs from Randy Wright (Wrights Curs, Dryden Tx), Weatherfords Ben line. She uses the dogs to haze nuisance bears. The dogs are shown working here:

http://www.nj.gov/dep/fgw/pdf/bear/poli ... nac_la.pdf

She's also mentioned the the Fur-Fish-Game article.

And the best information about the Ladner line that I know of is from Joey Hutson, also in Louisiana. http://www.hutsonblackmouthcur.com
He has a great looking BMC named Hutson's Ole Zip Code, which is a Ladner BMC.

Good luck with your pup!

Return to “Hog Hunting”