revisiting pitt bulls

Talk about Hog hunting
plottpappaw
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

revisiting pitt bulls

Postby plottpappaw » Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:49 am

since the pitt bull subject came up in a post about catch dogs i would like to narrow it down to just pit bulls. the reasoning is i would like to be properly educated about them due to the fact i am looking into catch dogs for one. also secondly i see tons of pits used for catch dogs and it seems maybe the generic stereotype could be substantualy wrong. also to be steered in the proper direction of breeders that breed for temprament, socialazation and catch, instead of someone that just like big thick dogs that look mean. i have a two year old and that is my major concern along with bad experiences of my own as a child but i believe being properly educated and led to responsible breeders could give me a new found knowledge and understanding of the breed and their habits and capabilities.
GOD bless,
Logan
eph 2:8-9
Pops
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: revisiting pitt bulls

Postby Pops » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:29 am

start w/ the ADBA and the APBT gazette. after the UKC went mainstream most all the old time dogmen went to the ADBA.
stay away from the "giant" pitbull lines like dagger, whopper, big block, gotti, grey line & razors edge. all of them have some kind of mastiff bred in to increase size. unfortunately the mastiffs used were developed for manwork either originally or rescently and so bite inhibition is lower in those lines.

through the APBT Gazette you can find kennels w/ good pedigrees going back to patrick, boudreaux, mayfield and other descent lines. mayfield tends to throw bigger dogs 50-60# more often. alot will be smaller dogs 40-50#. if you look you can find kennels out of TX that work on hogs & try to minimize dog aggression.
plottpappaw
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby plottpappaw » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:38 pm

thanks. i aint saying i'm getting one but i wanted to be able to make an educated decision.
txswamphunter
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby txswamphunter » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:32 am

i have an will always have pits as my catch dogs i have i have 2 as inside just pets , an one retired 8 yo catch dog , an a 2yo catch dog i use now all have no agression to people unless you try to harm my girlfriend one of my house dogs does no like people messing with her , all are good with kids people , mine catch dog will not bother livestock he will run right through horses or cows to catch a hog , then after a hunt go right back to playing with my nephew like it anit nothing , my buddy has a big pit bout 80 pounds mine is 42 pounds but his lives in the house with his 2 young daughters an out side of the house is a full time catch dog , i would say go meet some hog hunters that use pits an get to know the dogs an get a pup off them ,
nchoghunter

Postby nchoghunter » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:04 pm

i have 2 pitbulls as catchdogs that will not hurt anything but a hog
plottpappaw
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby plottpappaw » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:20 pm

i'm seeing more positive answers to questions about pits. i will admit maybe i have been wrong in stereotpying them and my assumptions are uneducated.
halfbreed
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby halfbreed » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:31 pm

pawpaw i have had the same concerns as you for all my life i quit going to a friend of mines house years ago cause he raised them damn pits . then i started hog hunting and just used my curs for seven years of it . when my old man catahoula started getting old and needing help i finally bought a little pit pup at 10 wks old . raised him up and tryed him out and i ain't ever looked back . he is one of the best natured and loving dogs i have ever owned . and i do and have on many occasions trusted him with my life . just a damn fine dog . and when i was a young man i wouldn't have give one a crust of bread . dogs is what you raise em to be .
hattak at ofi pisa
plottpappaw
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby plottpappaw » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:40 am

that seems to be the initial have too. is to raise it from a pup to avoid the possibility of someone mistreating them.
mountaincurs
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby mountaincurs » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:05 pm

Ive had pitts, airedales, gritty curs, you name it. but i got a american bulldog bitch that puts them all to shame. not to mention shes calm and is great with my 3 year old girl will ride in the box with anything. but you gotta have a breaking stick with her when she catches. I dont think id go back to anything ealse for a lead in catch dog.
Flip'em&Stick'emGirl

Postby Flip'em&Stick'emGirl » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:48 pm

I breed American Bulldogs, and Pits, as well as Bully's (a cross of the two breeds) and they are all wonderful family dogs, and excellent catch dogs. My dogs all hog hunt, and are inside dogs. A few actually live outside in the kennels. Anyway...I have 3 kids that are 10,11, and 14... and my sisters 18 month old that live in my house and I've never been worried about any of my dogs being aggressive with the kids, or anyone else for that matter. I was extremely careful when choosing my dogs, taking into consideration their temperament, the bloodlines, hunting ability, the parents personalities... then I raised them right. Bully breeds take a special type of person as they are difficult breeds sometimes. I love mine and as a single mom who has been running/raising hog dogs almost 20 years now, I don't think I would ever be without a few of these dogs in my house (or dog boxes).
lifreediver
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby lifreediver » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:04 pm

well like hounds and curs everyone sees what they want to see this breed is better than that breed etc i am a eli line pit fan looks and crunch.most will admitt a 40 or 50 pound pit was there best dogs ever well i always wand to start a new name and breed with old school game dogs a new name line breed the chinamen look and blood but the temperment like they always had they love kids and people but get the fight starting out and keep the racey game dog look and crunch and lose the bad rap name well rap ruined it ;)for them . all american hunt dog or american hog dog and after a few generations like all the other breeds a new name and start.
it can be done and is done here and there maybe a little more stamina and speed they are working good as nite vision catch dogs a new sport that tecnology pushed and more afordable.
paper the new breed and name why should our dogs who spend years in the woods and in the house with our familys be punished and out lawed and put in the same boat as scum who abuses and fights the dogs and breeds a dog who looks so atimadating to the public
some people think my dogs are not pitbulls any way and the new dogs are not capable of catching nothin but the neigbors maltese or lap dog
lets get to gether and presurve or grandparents breed and take the old bred and lines into the future safely with a new name and little more nose endurance get the fight starter out and a chance to be protected or sit around while the trash get them banded
techno
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby techno » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:05 pm

I owned Chinaman and Six Bits bred game dogs. I loved the best of both breeds.

My plan was to cross the 2 and have a large time!

The hog population is creeping closer and closer to my front door. When it hits I plan to add the same lines of dogs to the yard. I wouldn't think of using anything else for a catch dog!
rambo

Postby rambo » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:19 am

Return to “Hog Hunting”