Keep or cull

Talk about Hog hunting
quickfire
Facebook ID: 0

Keep or cull

Postby quickfire » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:54 am

Keep in mind I'm brand new have been hog hunting 10 times and just started going by myself the last 3 times.

Well I went hunting Saturday and Sunday. I bought a finished female gyp off Southern airboat 1/2 cat 1/4 pit 1/4 blue tick and there probably is something wrong with ehr but she is the best thing I have so far. She hunts hard, finds pigs and bays them up.loads up,comes when I call her. At any rate I had some of the barely started dogs with me have bayed in bay pen and caught in bay pen when the catch dog catchs and we walked right up on a sow and she jumped and the young dogs and my catch dog started grabbing piglets. I got 2 away from the alive and put them in my truck and got the finished dog out and the 2nd best dog I have out. Long story short after about an hour of walk hunting the 1 year old barely started dog was gone. So I went back to the truck and she was in the dog box waiting on me and last night she wouldnt leave the road seemed like she was afraid of the dark or something and we bayed up twice and she never went to help ended up back at the truck. So long story short I am new to cur dogs and would like to get opinions on whether to keep working her or or cull. She also growls and will nip in the start box. My gut says to cull her.
Myles Man

Re: Keep or cull

Postby Myles Man » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:17 pm

I have been hunting with dogs for six months now, I have a brother thats prob 5 yrs in it, so I use his pack to judge my dogs, which I only have 2(not sayin much, but im new in it too) I would get with a seasoned hog huntin neighbor, let her run with his, and see what he says, my gut says the dog aint got much hunt in her. How long have u had her, how does she work in bay pen, that will help see how she will handle a hunt in due time...it sounds like her spirit is broken if u know what I mean.

I traded Cedar, a 1 1/2 yr male cur/plott(posted a question about him a few weeks ago) for a 15 mth BMC gyp. Saturday night she ran 15 miles with our 2 best strike dogs. In comparison, Cedar never really ran that good, he hung out with the catch dogs more... he was never taught as a pup to "find" hogs, and when we did get a bay, he would run to it with a lot of grit,. I found a loose dog to take his place, and I'm happy so far. She is loose. She uses her nose way more than I saw Cedar use his. She does show signs of wanting to hunt, and thats all I need to see to invest time and food to make her a part of my crew. From the sound of your question, I would give her a chance or 2 to prove she wants to hunt. If no results, find her a new home.
curdogfl

Postby curdogfl » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:58 pm

You need to remember she is only a year old, she's still a pup how long have you had her? How many times have you taken her hunting? Also if you have taken her hunting several times how many times has it been at night? I've seen a lot of younger dogs only taken out during the day time then you take them out at night and they dont range out as far because they don't have the confidence at night like they do during the day time because their not used to it. As far as starting fights in the box nothing takes care of that better than a swarppin with a switch. Just remember she is still young if the dog your talking about is only a year old I would give her some more time show her another hog and she how she acts let's us know
mountaincurs
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby mountaincurs » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:21 pm

Sounds like about every young dog ive ever started lol, shes still real young. ive seen curs start to really turn into somthing around 2 years old. keep hunting her and she will pick it up. as long as youve got dogs to show her what to do and the hogs to hunt you can atleast say you gave it your best. if in a few months if your taking her alot and shes still not hunting out like you want, might be time to cull. As for the night hunting ive known finished dogs that didnt do to hot in the dark. if they arnt use to it. one thing to watch is the fighting in the box. if you dont correct it now when shes young it could be a problem down the line. I got a few that thing they are tuff but when i say hush they lisen. Just keep hunting her and keep her in the hogs time will tell.
mountaincurs
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby mountaincurs » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:24 pm

and atleast she had sence to go back to the truck. lol
Myles Man

Postby Myles Man » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:19 pm

I forgot to mention I gave Cedar 4 months to show me what I was looking for. Come to find out, to me it looked like he was playing with the hogs, not holding em. After 4 months, i decided to trade him for the BMC gyp, So if you want to give her time to mature, u will get a better outlook on what you r lookin for....which is what is important, is she doing what you feed her.
quickfire

Postby quickfire » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:06 pm

Hey thanks for the replies I actually like the dog I'm going to give her some time. I know she has a nose on her and what she does once shes at the bay. Now I am just hopeful she will turn it all on.
quickfire

Postby quickfire » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:22 pm

Did a slew of Mock hunts with her this week at night and she was screaming to go finding the hog and baying catching with catch dog every time. Took the hog to 4 different locations every night this weekend and drug it in the woods thru creek,swamp etc and left it from 20 to 45 minutes before I let the dog go trail it. She was screaming to go by the 3rd time the first night. Going on a real hunt tom night and all day Sunday. Hope she does the same in the woods.
curdogfl

Postby curdogfl » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:54 pm

Nice just keep feeding her hog tracks, hey quickfire I see your in tampa you hunt down around that way? Or are you traveling to hunt
Myles Man

Postby Myles Man » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:32 pm

Thats real nice. Im glad she is getting the want to.....thats all I need to see, I hope the hunt comes up with a catch or two.
leifalweapon
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby leifalweapon » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:52 am

So how did she turn out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HOGMAN
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby HOGMAN » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:00 pm

??????
Samuel Boutwell
601-757-1122
"There's two types of hounds, one follow hog's, one catches them"!
Run to Catch Hounds- Brookhaven, MS

Return to “Hog Hunting”