Closed mouthed Plott hound pups??

Talk about Hog hunting
Okhoggin9
Facebook ID: 0

Postby Okhoggin9 » Wed May 22, 2013 3:57 pm

My brothers and I hunt hogs in Oklahoma and would love a plott puppy from good bloodlines! We hunt strictly closed mouthed BMC/plott mixes, we would like to see the sire/dam hunt (coon,bear,hog) it's doesn't matter to us what they hunt as long as they use their nose to find it. We live in central Ok but will travel if need be. Feel free to contact me with any leads you think might help us!
mike martell
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Re: Closed mouthed Plott hound pups??

Postby mike martell » Fri May 24, 2013 10:43 am

I owned and hunted Plotts for twenty years in Oregon for Bear, Lion, Coon. Only had one that was a top bobcat hound. I have never hunted or seen or ever known of a closed mouth Plott from any of the old foundation strains. Back in the day, I hunted with most every strain of Plotts. I read and re-read this post and shook my head. Please post an update if you locate someone who owns or raises closed mouth Plotts. I still like this breed but don't bear hunt so I don't use them any longer. Plotts by their very nature can't keep there mouths shut, Lol! Good Luck Locating what you are looking for.

Mike
Goose
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Goose » Tue May 28, 2013 1:36 pm

I had a half English half plott who was dead silent on track wouldn't say a word. He came out of West Virginia. I got him through a trade because the boy who had him ran hounds and he didn't like it that he wouldn't bark. He got over heated and died last year.
kordog
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby kordog » Thu May 30, 2013 12:12 am

i wonder if a plott x to an english pointer would give some silent super built dogs to try its not like those birdogs run around barking while they birdhunt.alot of those english pointers have an unbelievable build and hunt to them.some one on here must of tried that cross ?
halfbreed
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby halfbreed » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:19 pm

I know this is an old post but I have been gone awhile . my old plott gyp bell was tight mouthed and I have a pochahantis gyp now that is tight mouthed on hogs . they are out there but are rare . it's just a lucky thing to find one . when I bought my bell gyp at 6 months old I was looking for an open dog to throw into my cur pack [ didn't get it lo;l ] and this gyp I have now same thing . I guess if I look for a tight mouthed dog i'll get one that is at least semi open lol . and as well none of my cat x plott crosses were open unless a hog broke then they would sing for a while .
hattak at ofi pisa
scdogman

Postby scdogman » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:54 pm

Alot of people around here are crossing the plott x birdogs, dogs are doing very good as taking the bark out & making a silent dog that is deadly on these running hogs. I have to admit I am mostly a hound man & love to hear that sweet music but the plott x birds I have hunted with are consistently putting hogs on the ground. Has me thinking real hard about trying this cross. Our hogs here will run for miles if they even hear a dog because of the pressure they get. Great cross from what I've seen with my own eyes.
Colby
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Colby » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:23 pm

I ll be following this thread curious to see if anyone sells dogs like spike of above I have some hound cur cross that are right mouthed but would like a 100% silent dog
oconee
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby oconee » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:39 pm

I owned a full Pocahontas bred female that would not say a word on track, not a word. If she barked she was looking at him. I also owned a half Pocahontas and half Locktight Amos plott that was the same way. I sold both of them!!!! I get so sick of everyone wanting what a hound brings to the table without getting what a hound brings to the table. If you want dogs that hunt hard, stays hooked, and have a cold-nose, then you're gonna have to listen to a race. This myth about hounds barking and running hogs out of the country has been started by folks that have been hunting with hounds that just follow a hog around and not with the kind of hounds that DRIVE a track and jerk hair out of his butt. They can bark all they want if they can truly catch the game, it doesn't matter at all. By the way, I'm not budging off my opinion about this, so don't bother explaining how the silent curs are hog catching machines. If that was true, ever hog hunter in the world wouldn't be wanting a silent HOUND!!!! To each their own, just hunt what you like, but a hound is going to bark on track and that's all there is to it. I'm not trying to rub anyone wrong, I just have strong opinions because I've caught a FEW!!!! Go to East Texas Hog Doggers and you can find a 1/8 bird dog,1/8 hound, 1/8 border collie, 1/8 pit, 1/8 cur, 1/8 jag, 1/8 bloodhound, and 1/8 greyhound. Then you'll have it all covered and there's a good chance it'll be closed-mouth.
HOGMAN
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby HOGMAN » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:53 pm

I have one.... registered couldn't tell u what he's out of right now off top of my head...
Samuel Boutwell
601-757-1122
"There's two types of hounds, one follow hog's, one catches them"!
Run to Catch Hounds- Brookhaven, MS
HOGMAN
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby HOGMAN » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:12 pm

I looked at my papers and it has heavy Pocahontas Gator 1 and 2 in it and a lot of Cascade blood, and hes pretty hush mouthed.. He likes to run his own instead of following a pack..
Samuel Boutwell
601-757-1122
justahunter
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby justahunter » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:37 am

Oconee you nailed it.
Hunt hard cull hard !
Pwilson
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Pwilson » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:58 am

Ya OCONEE I'm sick of every one thinking its got to be closed mouth if they would stop worrying about if the sum bitch barks on track and start worrying about breeding dogs that flat want to run the piss out of one when he sees the hog try's to pull every peace of hair off him they would be supprised how many hogs they would catch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HOGMAN
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby HOGMAN » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:06 pm

[quote="Pwilson"]Ya OCONEE I'm sick of every one thinking its got to be closed mouth if they would stop worrying about if the sum bitch barks on track and start worrying about breeding dogs that flat want to run the piss out of one when he sees the hog try's to pull every peace of hair off him they would be supprised how many hogs they would catch

I don't like my hushed mouth one as much as I like my open dogs, I catch just as many hogs with them or more.. If I put my hush mouth one in hog sign he does good.. Im with yall I catch just as many with open hounds... It seems like to me when u have a dog with less barking on track u are settling for less hunt in the hound- to go jump own game. Like my other plots will range out anywhere from 250-800 yards. But my hushed mouth ones might go 150-600.. Like a long ranged cur
Samuel Boutwell
601-757-1122
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:07 pm

All wild animals being followed by a dog knows he is back there and how close he is regardless if he is barkin or silent .
HOGMAN
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby HOGMAN » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:13 pm

Samuel Boutwell
601-757-1122

Return to “Hog Hunting”