Closed mouthed Plott hound pups??

Talk about Hog hunting
Pwilson
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Closed mouthed Plott hound pups??

Postby Pwilson » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:35 pm

Ya I don't think a dog should bark every breath but if they bark every so yards I don't think it matters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HOGMAN
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby HOGMAN » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:47 pm

I mean as long as it fits you and your style of hunting and your catching pigs it doesnt matter.. we have some die hard cur dog men around me.. Im really starting to enjoy plotts more than any other breed. As far as catching hogs, i catch alot with my plotts.. It took me a while to get my redbone broke off trash because he was SOOOO gamey... Hes made a big turn past few weeks in right direction he uses his nose more and drives out a track well... I have about got stuck on hounds. But i have cur dogs layin everywhere.. I normally run mine with our hounds and they do good..
Samuel Boutwell
601-757-1122
"There's two types of hounds, one follow hog's, one catches them"!
Run to Catch Hounds- Brookhaven, MS
Pwilson
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Pwilson » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:23 am

Hog man I got all three hound, hound/ cur, and cur and I got one cur that can flat out hang with them other then that I ain't seen to many that can hang with um that's what made my mind up on hounds

BAR BAR 2
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby BAR BAR 2 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:32 pm

=2
HOGMAN
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby HOGMAN » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:15 pm

My dogs can cold trail and they do it silent so they have a chance of sneeking up on bedded game better than a open dog cold trailing- which inturn mean game is bayed closer...
Samuel Boutwell
601-757-1122
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:43 am

Bar bar , I imagine all animals have their on personal spook level but I think they have a strong ability to be aware of what's going on in their territory. I believe they respond to a strange or unusual noise more readily than they do a dog bark. If you really want to move game get you a pocket full of rocks and a sling shot, find you a clear cut that's aout waist high, start walking slow and shooting rocks and you will see how far away animals will be moving out. Come back a few days later with some dogs and you will have about the same response with dogs. Iv seen deer lay in their bed with dog trailing and barking all around them and iv seen deer killed a quarter of mile from where I was trailing. The dogs jump and go straight to the deer that was killed and the the stander said the deer was running like his tail was on fire but the dogs weren't barkin yet. If silent or open matters I can't tell it. But I want my dogs to be able to cold trale giving mouth, jump giving mouth, and run giving mouth. That way I kinda know what's going on.
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:11 pm

Bar bar my dad was a much better dog man than I am and had a lot more wood time than I and he always told me he could move a lot more game with silent mouth dogs. But you had to have wide awake hunters if you are Stand hunting.
Goose
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Goose » Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:37 pm

The way I see it is, it's been proven that a boar hog can wind a Sow in heat up to six miles away, what makes you think they can't hear your hunting vehicle or smell all the smell coming from a hunting rig, an open dog is like the debo of the neighborhood if he can chase you running that mouth and handle his business when he gets there then that's all that matters.
Goose
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Goose » Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:41 pm

To add I've seen on several occasions old boars make a turn with the wind at their back and will stop and wind whatever is chasing him, I've noticed this running silent mouth curs.
Pwilson
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Pwilson » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:25 pm

Goose that's right I think all it takes is some hard running no quit hair pulling dogs that run to stop and bay catch whatever u want from then on

Pwilson
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Pwilson » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:29 pm

That's y my fav thang to see is a hog hualling ass that means ur putting the shit to him seen lots of hogs break and jog off and the dogs don't know we're the hell he went and that pisses me off the most that's y I think it just maters about how much ur dogs want to catch game

HOGMAN
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby HOGMAN » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:00 pm

[quote="Pwilson"]That's y my fav thang to see is a hog hualling ass that means ur putting the shit to him seen lots of hogs break and jog off and the dogs don't know we're the hell he went and that pisses me off the most that's y I think it just maters about how much ur dogs want to catch game

You are right that's for sure, that's the difference in a good dog and a great dog is drive.. A lot of hounds have the ability but not as much drive.
Samuel Boutwell
601-757-1122
pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby pegleg » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:34 am

I don't hog hunt . we just don't have them. But I have. It sounded like a good time and something to try so for a couple years I would load a few dogs up and head east. This might upset some guys but slow down and think about it a little because that's not my intention. Hogs aren't hard for a hound to trail even young dogs shouldn't have to think much doing it. I watched some "hog dogs" put their nose down and trail. But even in west Texas those hounds never "trail" they don't have to they just flat run. Hogs I've seen weren't near as fast or hard running as a bear. Now I understand some of you might be hunting real small pieces of ground and it might not take much for a hog to get away by which I mean into a area you don't have permission to hunt. In those cases a running catch dog is probably the way to go.
On the other hand it was rare to catch a hog a few hounds couldn't chew to pieces if you took to long getting in there. And those hogs find the closest bush or whatever to back into. There's older boars that take a lot more. But in reality if your dogs struggle in either scenting running or stopping the average hog you need to really take a look at what's going on. I can see some of the softer coonhounds not being the best choice but it isn't ability for the most part its desire. But any decent beardog should have a field day on hogs. Guys talk about how dangerous boars can be and its true but they're also having to stop and face that dog to be much threat. I think its more a issue of any hunting dog is probably going to catch some hogs so the breeding is haphazard which leads to all kinds of dogs getting the label hogdog.
Like I said it might irritate some guys but whether a dogs open or not is one of the lesser traits even for running hogs.
But again I'm not a hog hunting pro I did find it much easier then taking dogs to hunt bear or just about anything except coon. Coon dogs have to trail and locate. Just pointing out barking probably isn't the issue even my dogs that typically bawl would sound different running pigs.
Goose
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Goose » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:13 pm

Peg leg I have to agree with most of what you say, I'm sure you've hunted in more than one place and know there's a big difference in the types of hounds that have to be used for the same type of game in various geographical locations, it's no different with hogs, in some states it's takes a certain style of dogs as does it somewhere else, not saying that the most popular style in any certain area is the only way but it's the more consistent ways. The area I hunt a dog has to have some good nose and be able to run a track pretty decent and pick up loses and what not. I have to ask where exactly did you go hunting?
HOGMAN
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby HOGMAN » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:02 pm

Samuel Boutwell
601-757-1122

Return to “Hog Hunting”