African Game

Talk about Hog hunting
RedBuffalo

African Game

Postby RedBuffalo » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:29 am

Hello Guys

I am new to this forum, based in Rural KZN, we hunt pigs, the bush pig we have here is smaller than what you have over there, is hyper aggressive and stands and trades most of the time especially when fatigued.

I have a yellow/frisco pit bulls and a Jagd terrier male, I also have access to Draahthaar stock.

Question is what breed is the best dog for my application ? I want something that can cold track and if possible catch too, something that will work well with the Pit / Jagd cross. Eventually 1/4 pit 1/4 Jagd and 1/2 Hound ????

Look forward to hearing your opinions !
RedBuffalo

Re: African Game

Postby RedBuffalo » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:30 am

KZN is Kwazulu Natal in South Africa, lots of sugar cane and very hot and humid
pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby pegleg » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:45 pm

Pointer but I'm not sure you need a "cold" nose. I don't personally own pig dogs. So when I get to pig hunt its always over someone else's pack. I think there's not many species where the type of dog has more to do with the owners preferences as hog hunting. I've seen a little bit of everything succesfully hunt hogs. The closest thing to cold trailing I be seen was in the southwest Texas new Mexico region and it was really more a general willingness to trail then any real ability to cold trail. More trailing then most terrier breeds exhibit. What is your objection do you have to the German dogs? The ones I've seen had decent nosed.
justahunter
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby justahunter » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:41 am

I know a guy that uses only border Collies and kelpies for hogs and they do a good job.
I am breeding a plott hound to a jag within a year. I bet they will make excellent hog dogs . I am going to try them on bear .
Hunt hard cull hard !
Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Mike Leonard » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:04 pm

African on this forum hunts bush pig and leopard with his French hounds in South Africa. I am not sure how to spell their name right, Gascon Saintongeois I believe.

I have seen videos and it appears they do very well on them.
MIKE LEONARD
Somewhere out there.............
Cajun
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Cajun » Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:26 pm

I would research any of the hound breeds but would go with the big Game strains. I personally hunt Plotts on hog & bear but their are good ones in all breeds. There are also a lot of sorry ones out there.
Roy Sparks hunts English & English crosses if I am not mistaken.over there on Bushpigs & used to hunt them on Leopard before they outlawed it.
MIKE CAULEY
BAYOU CAJUN KENNELS

Happiness is a empty dogbox &
RELENTLESS PURSUIT
Henefer-hound-hunter
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Henefer-hound-hunter » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:07 am

I don't run hogs, but from what iv heard and read their are people catching hogs with cow dogs, bird dogs, curs, hounds, all sorts of terriers, so I'm guessing that a hog isn't too hard for a dog to scent if all these different sectors of breeds work. To me it seems the dogo would be at the top of my list to try. I mean from what I understand it was bred to hunt hogs and Pumas, it was bred to run in a pack, and they will scent, trail, and catch. This would seem like the whole package deal for hogs in my eyes, but then again I don't have wild hogs where I live so I'm no expert;)

Cam
Henefer-hound-hunter
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Henefer-hound-hunter » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:32 am

Also a guy on this forum that goes by Marcos ardegan has some blue griffon hounds that seem to really get the job done on hogs in Spain.

Cam
Goose
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Goose » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:15 pm

The reason you see such a vast assortment of different types of dogs being used in hogs is because hogs are everywhere and can readily adapt to their terrain, terrain is the most contributing factor in the type of dog you need. I'd see if I could find someone around me hunting with hounds and see what their takes and opinions were.
HOGMAN
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby HOGMAN » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:11 pm

Samuel Boutwell
601-757-1122
"There's two types of hounds, one follow hog's, one catches them"!
Run to Catch Hounds- Brookhaven, MS
Colby
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Colby » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:34 pm

Colby
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Colby » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:45 pm

Talk to lionboarhunter on here he's where I got majority of my dogs from and he runs cats and hogs he probably could point you in the right direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SASS
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby SASS » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:49 pm

Bird n Bulls work great on pig (pointerxpit bull) Also any purpose bred cur would work for you. Both of those would most likely be silent. Any big game hound would work if you don't mind the dogs being open.

Like goose said depends on your terrain and what style you would like to hunt.

Good luck and let us know what you end up getting.

Return to “Hog Hunting”