Looking for a hog hunt with hounds in Hawaii?

Talk about Hog hunting
chilcotin hillbilly
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth
Facebook ID: 100003065741116

Looking for a hog hunt with hounds in Hawaii?

Postby chilcotin hillbilly » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:16 pm

My wife and I are thinking of going to Hawaii in April.
Anyone on here running hounds on pigs. I would love to catch a few pigs while we are there.
I have done it once in Florida and had a blast.

Thanks
Doug
www.skinnercreekhunts.com
Home of the Chilcotin Treeing Piss Hounds
Jeff Eberle
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Looking for a hog hunt with hounds in Hawaii?

Postby Jeff Eberle » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:46 pm

Doug, Look up Parker Ranch Hawaii . Never been there and not sure why I remember the fact that they have hog hunts.
Get JESUS In Your Life & Your Dog's In The Wood's

CLAVEY RIVER CUR'S
chilcotin hillbilly
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby chilcotin hillbilly » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:13 am

Thanks Jeff, will do.
SASS
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby SASS » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:25 pm

There's a guy on here by the name of Hollowpoint who lives out here in CA by me but does a lot of hunting in Hawaii maybe he will see this post and chime in.
chilcotin hillbilly
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby chilcotin hillbilly » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:39 pm

Thanks SASS
chilcotin hillbilly
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby chilcotin hillbilly » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:00 pm

Booked with Nahele outfitting, it should be good. Grossly overpriced at $900/day with no accommodations or meals but one clown was charging $1600/day
I guess they don't realize they are hunting feral pig.
Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Mike Leonard » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:21 pm

This thread brought back a memory.

Back in 1988 I was bumping around the islands making a general nuisance of myself and I ran into a group of hog hunters at a convenience store in Kauai. I saw their old truck parked there with a pack of crossbred hound/pit dogs in the back in a crude wire box. Always interested I walked over and looked at the dogs and they saw this strange looking dude with a big cowboy hat looking at their truck so they came out to talk.
I introduced myself and told them I was a big game hound guy from the mainland in New Mexico. Well one of them received Full Cry magazine and I was writing some articles in it back then so they recognized the name. They told me they really didn't outfit other than taking friends on hunts with them but mostly they hunted to catch younger hogs alive and then fatten them up and sell the to the resort hotels for tourist Luaus.

They wanted me to go out with them on a chase so much to the chagrin of my wife then( Ex-wife) now LOL! I agreed to go.

For those of you who have never been into the jungles of Kauai let me tell you that rain forest is so thick you can't see your hand in front of your face. Being an open country guy this didn't make me any too comfortable because GPS was still a long ways out then. Well we loaded up in the evening in a couple of trucks and headed out to hunt. We actually were still on a paved road when we rounded a corner and a whole bunch of hogs bolted across the road right in front of us. They slammed on the brakes and leaped out dumping the tailgate and dogs and hunters left on the run into the green wall of trees, bushes and vines. Let me tell you these guys were tough and in shape and in no time the dogs had some hogs surrounded but by the time I got there after tripping on vines falling listening and trying to keep up to no avail they already had several small pigs caught and tied. They had another crate in a separate truck they put the pigs in.Several of the dogs had stayed on after some of the bigger hogs and they had to go in an get them but I begged out of that figuring they would probably be looking for me wandering around out there in circles. LOL!

It was an interesting time and they gave me a really nice Tee-Shirt with a picture on it with hounds and hogs fighting framed by a couple of rifles and the name of their group. I had that shirt for a long time and it always reminded me of those tough crazy guys and just like us crazy bear and cat hunters how much they loved the sport of it.

Nahele is on the big island I believe and you probably will have a super good time and memories for years to come.

Good luck!
MIKE LEONARD
Somewhere out there.............
chilcotin hillbilly
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby chilcotin hillbilly » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:53 pm

Great story Mike, I am sure I will enjoy every minute of it.

Return to “Hog Hunting”