Leopard Hound

Talk about Hog hunting
Quick23
Facebook ID: 0

Leopard Hound

Postby Quick23 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:45 pm

I am currently running some hound crosses red tick/cur cross and some walker/cat crosses, but i have been interested in getting a leopard hound to cross into my cat crosses. Looking for as much info/pictures that i can find. Appreciate all the help in advance
#SNS Planned Preparation Prevents Poor Performance
Jeff Eberle
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: Leopard Hound

Postby Jeff Eberle » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:21 pm

Americanleopardbreed.com should be able to find out all your wanting to know and more
Get JESUS In Your Life & Your Dog's In The Wood's

CLAVEY RIVER CUR'S
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:53 pm

There are kind of four lines of leopard that I know of, and I will probably offend someone here, but just in general: The McDuffie line, and one of the most famous keepers of this line is Randy Oller in California. Randy was a hard core bear hunter, but also loved cat hunting with his leopards. Ricky Love, from one of the Carolinas I think, was heavy with this blood. Both of them crossed on Barney’s Buster which was an amazing bobcat dog from the McDuffie Mexican blood outcrosses.

Another line was kept by Rex Bowers, North Carolina. And Rex supplied Wayne Hensley, a Virginia bear hunter that Dewey Walton Got some of this breeding from. Dewey is a west coast bobcat hunter who says that blood adds something to the pack that he would miss without it.

Another line is the heavy Wicks Camo Jug bred dogs. Jeff Eberle and I had this blood in our dogs. Dan McDonough keeps this line pure and also is using it in cross breeding experiments.

The dogs behind Rex Lakers breeding would be another type of leopard. These have also been crossed into the Jug line in places. Nick Riley on here has used this cross successfully on Montana bobcats; and has raised some very nice leopards off this union.

There is a huge difference in the hunting styles of some of these lines. It is hard to even imagine they are from the same breed sometimes. But all these mentioned have been used succesfully on bobcat. I don’t know of a bobcat hunter using the PURE midwestern breeding (Rex Laker type). But as mentioned this is a part of the Riley cat dogs.

I am sure there are things I left out. I have experience with three of the four lines I spoke of here. And actually, thee was a dog outnof Lakers Speed that I hunted for awhile, so actually, all four I have hunted.
Last edited by david on Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff Eberle
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Jeff Eberle » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:30 am

David, do you know of anyone that has crossed a Jug dog to a Hensley dog ?
Get JESUS In Your Life & Your Dog's In The Wood's

CLAVEY RIVER CUR'S
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:48 am

No Jeff, I can’t think of anyone who has done that. I had two Hensley dogs at the same time I had the Jug dogs. They didn’t work out for me. But I am not half the hunter as Dewey or Wayne. If someone made that cross I can only imagine there would be some good dogs. It would toughen up the Jug dogs/improve their conformation; and speed up the Hensley dogs/add some locating magic, would be my guess.
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:56 am

I just thought of someone who might have made that cross, but I am not positive:
Ryan Munn of Nebraska May have.
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:10 am

Quick23

Postby Quick23 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:46 am

Quick23

Postby Quick23 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:50 am

Goose
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Goose » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:21 pm

I'm a full time hog hunter and aspiring to be a bobcat hunter one day lol, my first question is where do you hunt, do the hogs run bad, 2-3 hours before a bay up, if your hunting hogs that run bad then I'd suggest finding a line that excels on bobcats, 4 years ago I crossed one of my cur gyps onto some heavy line bred bobcat blood and the results have WAY above expectations, if a dog can successfully run a bobcat it should excel on hogs...
SASS
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby SASS » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:34 pm

You might try Ricky Love I believe he is in North Alabama. His dogs have been run on hogs and I'm sure he can send you vids and references. He breeds McDuffie blood like Hensley and Oller though through the years all three lines are very different. Wayne Hensley is in Virginia you might try him as well. Good luck.
Quick23

Postby Quick23 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:04 pm

Quick23

Postby Quick23 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:05 pm

Irish Jack
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Irish Jack » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:29 pm

A bit of trivia> Can anyone name this famous Leopard of the past? and his origin?....Clue, some would say he was one of the last "true" Leopards

Good luck, Jack
Quick23

Postby Quick23 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:49 pm

Return to “Hog Hunting”