Looking for an Idaho resident to talk to.

A place to talk about Deer/Elk Hunting and any other BigGame or Small game hunting Without dogs.
ridgerunner
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Looking for an Idaho resident to talk to.

Postby ridgerunner » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:22 pm

My wife and I are planning our first "out west" trip for the fall of 2015. We plan on buying an OTC tag and hunting in the state of Idaho. That's about all we've got planned for now. If anyone here is willing to answer a few questions that's from Idaho or has past experience there please feel free to p.m. me. I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks

Travis
1bigbear
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 100000274214096

Re: Looking for an Idaho resident to talk to.

Postby 1bigbear » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:14 pm

Not sure what you plan on hunting. But if it's cats you'll need to draw a nonresident hound permit.
LBell
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby LBell » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:32 am

To hunt with hounds in Idaho you will need to apply for and draw an out of state hound hunter permit, 70 are given out a year. It's a lottery draw so no preference points. Then if you draw you'll have to buy a non-residence license and an out of state lion tag. To harvest any animal over hounds you must hold a hound hunter permit, thats the way it's set up the permit is also only good for the holder of not every friend cousin and long lost friend as some would have you believe. P.M. me if you have any other questions. Lance
ridgerunner
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby ridgerunner » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:58 pm

I'm sorry I did not clarify in the original post what we were planning to hunt. Priority would be a OTC gun elk tag for my wife. We're just in the early planning stages, trying to figure out Idaho rules, zones, season dates, towns and lodging, etc. I have been reading the fish and game website but just wanted to touch base with someone who might be able to point us in a good direction as far as zones with decent animal density, fair amounts of public lands, etc. I know a few of you PM'd me and sorry on my delayed response. I'm not looking for anyone's honey holes or favorite ridge just a narrowed down part of a state would be fine. I enjoy the challenge of being completely mobile in our hunt within our zone to try and find some elk. I appreciate all responses.

Thank you

Travis
Old dog
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby Old dog » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:27 pm

unless you have some other reason to spend you're money for a non resident hunt in Idaho,I would look into other states "out west" to hunt elk that don't have wolves. we still have some elk but it aint what it used to be for sure. new mex or Colorado may be a better bet? would hate to see you planning a trip and going thru the expense to wind up hunting in a area full of wolves is all. good luck
no mater if you think you can or you think you cant,, you are probably rite.
JustinKeller
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby JustinKeller » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:56 am

there are still a few good places to hunt elk out here and wolf tags are only 30 bucks. if it is a meat hunt buy a beef, it will be cheaper. put in a for one of the controlled hunts, general tags are a wast of time anymore. wolf numbers are down, possibly as low as they will ever be again, due to mange and distemper. elk numbers are currently on the rebound for a year or two.

keep the greasy side down.

Return to “Other Hunting”