New Mexico Ibex

A place to talk about Deer/Elk Hunting and any other BigGame or Small game hunting Without dogs.
justahunter
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

New Mexico Ibex

Postby justahunter » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:27 pm

I recently traveled to Deming New Mexico to help a friend out with his Ibex hunt in the Florida mtns . although we were unsuccessful due to his aim it was a great time other than getting stuck by every thorn and cactus in those parts . while traveling I seen deer elk and antelope . also while going through Cuba I really liked that country it looks like the kind of place I would like to hunt the hounds if I lived there . just curious is the hound hunting good around there?
It was my first time ever in new Mexico although I have been in state/country around it . I think southern New Mexico is a lot like south west Idaho .
Hunt hard cull hard !
Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Re: New Mexico Ibex

Postby Mike Leonard » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:38 pm

A lot of hound hunters around Cuba and competition is pretty steep. A lot of National forest to hunt however and depending on the year it can be pretty good bear hunting but you better plan on having plenty of company because you will see dog trucks from all kinds of states.
MIKE LEONARD
Somewhere out there.............
justahunter
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby justahunter » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:17 pm

I'm not the only one that thinks it looks like good country haha . some day I may hunt there maybe hunt new Mexico for lions next winter for a week or so . the friend I went with on Ibex hunt wants to get a lion and experience the hound hunt .
Hunt hard cull hard !
Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Mike Leonard » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:34 pm

I would suggest you try a lion hunt on the Florida's it is loaded with lion. I have had numerous friends actually see lions while hunting ibex there and 2 that I know of had to run a lion of their dead ibex when a lion beat them to the carcass. Only problem it is so bad it would be very likely a person is going to lose some dogs if the bluff a lion in there it is bad country, and it would also be torturing some on the hounds trying to get thru it.

The high country around Cuba ( San Pedro Wilderness) has lions but unless you hunt them in the warmer months which is legal the heavy snows of winter shut down a lot of the trails and roads and a lot of the prey (Deer & Elk) migrate off the top into lower country which consists of a lot of private ranches and Indian Reservations.
MIKE LEONARD
Somewhere out there.............
justahunter
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby justahunter » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:45 pm

I would rather not hunt lion in Florida mtns . it would be a pain . my friend lives in Farmington . I am sure we can find him a lion close to him .
Hunt hard cull hard !
Cowboyvon
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Cowboyvon » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:33 pm

lol good call ..
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.

Henry David Thoreau

Return to “Other Hunting”