Hancock horses

Talk about Horses and Mules.
waylon
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Hancock horses

Postby waylon » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:11 pm

Just wodering if any of yall were as big a fan of them ol Hancock horses as me, I would like to see your pics if you got any. Had to sell out all mine and sure missing them.

Here is my boy on a young Hancock bay roan stud colt. I raised and broke the bayroan and the bay in the back ground was a filly I got the wife for CHRISTmas one year out of heavy line bred King Ranch stuff and a line bred Hancock mare I later bought. The stud colts daddy was Hancocks blue rebel and is standidng @ Tom Millers Red Oak Ranch now. He threw colts that worked like they should and had 0% buck in any of em
This colt now has his own band of mares and made a good'un
Last edited by waylon on Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
ROMANS 3:24
LET YOUR HOUNDS DO THE BRAGGING
Cathunter10
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Hancock horses

Postby Cathunter10 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:45 pm

Sir you can ship me one of thse hancock colts
Bill
waylon
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby waylon » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:59 pm

I am horseless @ the time, I raised 6 colts out of that same stud ( Hancocks Blue Rebel) and they were all like pets my kids could ride them in the 100ft round pen when the colts were 6months old. Of course i did alittle :lol: ground work first. they all grew out 15+ and made good ranch horses.The same line of horses are located on the Broken Bones Ranch in wyoming. Maybe some day i'll get to get back to riding colts. Oh well you can't live in the past
Mr.pacojack
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth
Facebook ID: 100000463480608

Postby Mr.pacojack » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:56 am

I have one she is my wifes horse and a dang good mountian horse. She will go anywhere the mule goes. Thinking of getting some semen shipped in and getting a mule out of her. :wink:

LIGHTNING RIDGE KENNELS
Walker breeding at it's best
Used to Catch Big Game
Our choice is as simple as Black and White
Devin Staker
970-756-5998
http://www.forum.workingdogsworldwide.com/
waylon
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby waylon » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:26 am

One of the cowboys on the ranch that borders my place did and got a super nice roan mule, he even ropes off him, dont tell him mules are slow cause he'll prove ya wrong, hows your mare bred, don't see many sorrel Hancocks out there must have something else pretty close in her blood? she kinds looks like she carries a little doc bar but i could be wrong, I was once :lol:
Average Joe
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Average Joe » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:31 am

I have a couple Hancock/Jackie Bee bred horses. They are tough to beat when it comes to using horses. Here is one of my jug heads 8 year old Geld.
Attachments
humbolt.JPG
Mr.pacojack
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth
Facebook ID: 100000463480608

Postby Mr.pacojack » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:31 am

No Doc Bar in her I will have to check her papers. They are in Utah in storage. That makes twice
LIGHTNING RIDGE KENNELS
Walker breeding at it's best
Used to Catch Big Game
Our choice is as simple as Black and White
Devin Staker
970-756-5998
http://www.forum.workingdogsworldwide.com/
waylon
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby waylon » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:46 pm

Average Joe, thats good looking mount, he has a better head than most of mind had, thats one thing i couldn't breed out unless i crossed out enough Hancock to where they really lost alot of bone structure and using ability.Love that horses color, I got sick of all the roans after awhile
Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Mike Leonard » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:02 pm

I like Hancocks and Blue Valentines line of Hancock. Not just tough , fast rope horses with speed but also traveling son of a guns with plenty of bone and good feet. My best calf horse was out of a Hancock mare by a Double Leo bred Robin Reed stud. He was hell on wheels and even took a pretty crappy roper like me to the winner circle numerous times.

PacoJack I like you idea and hope it works out. I have some super old brood mares here I mean good stuff, Sugar Bars, Hollywood Gold and Leo, and I keep trying to talk the boss(my wife) into letting me haul them over to a nice spanish jack I know of and she just throws a wall eyed fit. May have to see if I can herd that old blacvk jack down the road and see if he will jump the fence by accident at the right time. (Wink) LOL!
MIKE LEONARD
Somewhere out there.............
waylon
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby waylon » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:52 pm

A leo bred mule :) now I would llike to ride one of those, We got a ranch here thats been around since time began and when Poco bueno was still alive they bought several sons out of him and all the mares they could get, they bred only to there stock and Carrol Ray the forman has just about copied Poco Bueno as much as possible in this Remuda, Those would make some good working mules to. But I always liked a Hancock a tad more, Rope horses you bet, Look @ the top rope horses of all time one of two names is gonna be on there papers if not both. Hancock or Driftwood, if they were lucky both
Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Mike Leonard » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:51 pm

Yep on the Driftwoods but don't forget old Two Eyed Jack. But you dig back into him a little you will find some Hancocks and Grey Badger hanging out. those rascals were good but by gosh with Badger in there you better take aq deep seat and have some cows to work for a bit or they will fart your butt off right there close in front of God and the boss. LOL! Been there done that.

The old King Bred horses like PB sure made a believer out of me and they could be a little rank in the beginning at times but once broke they were sure enough broke.When crossed back on that Doc Bar they sure put some agile cattle cutting rascals out. But they got a little light in the bone for hard work on the range at times. Ofcourse the cutting game changed a lot since old Poco Bueno was turning cattle. I just like a little more traveling action in my circle horses and so I leaned towards them big swinging Hancocks.

I know I will get beat up over this next statment but when the Skipper W craze hit hard and those little baby doll heads and big butts were vogue I sure had some hell with that line. Little bitty old feet on those big old soggy son of a guns and seemed like that little head didn't hold a whole lot for me. Some guys got along with them really good but when I pulled up and they had all them pretty Roy Rodgers looking palaminos looking at me over them big butts I always had my doubts.
MIKE LEONARD
Somewhere out there.............
waylon
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby waylon » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:29 am

I am with you on that one, and about 2 eyed jack, His record or get speaks for it's self, poco colts humping up, naw never heard that before :lol: 2 eyed jack colts doing the same not a chance :lol: Hancocks bucking, if they did you sure knew it. Most good foundation horses, you know the type i can tell, could get broncy, but once you got'em lined out you couldn't beat'em. it's been my experience that colts like that are like pups that are trashy youg, i like'em it takes heart to wanna run every other creature you come across, colts with spirit I think later make harder working horses if you rope an ol mad brangus momma you know it 2. I got lucky and got into a line of hancocks that didn't throw much buck but grew out to have good big black feet,big drafty bone's ect. work'em all day rope off'em @ night.

They can keep them playgun, freckles playboy, doc olena colts, i'll take a foundation colt every time
Cowboyvon
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Cowboyvon » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:01 pm

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.

Henry David Thoreau
REM

Postby REM » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:55 pm

Nice looking horses guy.
I gotta quit reading this section.
Don't have the room or time for horses.
But seeing all of yours sure gets me to wanting them again.
waylon
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby waylon » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:40 pm

Were talking about using horses in rough country day after day, not in an arena weekend after weekend. Sad fact those lighter boned colts just wont hold up. Seen it first hand on the drummond ranch. There better for what there bred to do. Not long days on the ranch

Return to “Horse/Mule Disscussion”