Hancock horses

Talk about Horses and Mules.
Big Horn Posse
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth
Facebook ID: 100000145082247

Re: Hancock horses

Postby Big Horn Posse » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:57 pm

Not a fan of Hancock, Driftwood, or Two Eyed Jack horses myself. Had my share of every line and I can honestly say the best little cow and mountain horse I ever had was my little Colonel Freckles/Doc Six stud colt I called Pickles. As a 2 year old I took him up to the wilderness for a week pack trip just him a couple hounds and me one summer. Only had less than ten rides on him before that. He never balked or anything. Had moose come out of the timber in front of him. Took him way up in the high county in the rocks and all around some pretty nasty areas and he did awesome. Had him high lined picketed at night and he never threw a fit. Could even shoot off of him. Now I will not get into him working cattle. A real cow pony that one. Yep, hands down he was a real gem of a horse. He is on my website on the mountain camp page.

A few other I owned that deserve mentioning are the Peppy San Badger/Leo mare I had called Penny, and Bob Acre Doc/Doc's Prescription mare I called Jazzy. There were a few others but that would take a long time to post all them. If I ever get another horse again I would definitely go with the Colonel Freckles breeding again. That or the Peppy San Badger.

Oh and I prefer a sorrel lol This redhead likes red hounds and red horses! :lol:
I like my men like I like my mountains...... Rugged, challenging, and WILD!!!

Big Horn Posse Big Game Hounds
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-Horn ... e=bookmark

Cowboyvon
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Cowboyvon » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:16 pm

BHP this red head is partial to red roans like the one in the first pic or a blood bay too :) ..

Never said I didn't like the Hancock horses I do.. I just meant that you shouldn't pass up some of the more modern bred horses, there are many that do have the substance your talking about and have some other qualities :wink: I know I've been around lots of them all my life rode and trained them and worked them on ranches and sold many for ranch horses that are used day in and day out.... and I believe we have some pretty rough country :) And don't think just because a guy ropes on them he just rides them on the weekend and in the arena :lol: But I do realize that some are light and waspy with no substance to them at all I know we have had those too....

This is Googles he is a Little Peppy (Peppy San Badger) this horse had a lot of substance too him and I rode him hunting for a couple of years and roped on him and worked cattle on him.. I sold him to a guy up in Farmington thats roping on him now

This is Flip.. (he got his name honestly) He is out of one of our stallions that was an own son of Mr San Peppy and a Doc's Prescription Mare. I hunted on him and rode him and tried to kill him :shock: .. he was double tough.. I thought he might have been a little light but he sure never showed it and got around good in rough country.. I sold him to guy down by El Paso and he's roping on him now...

Now I have some mules that I hunt on.. I own a place up in the Gila and it's rough steep and hard to get around in so I bought me a pair of mules. I had never been around mules but I sure like them for that country..

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.

Henry David Thoreau
Big Mike
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Big Mike » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:36 pm

Bret, be careful you will sell all your horses now that you have seen the light!!!

A buddy of mine had a beautiful roan Hancock bred horse. He was a good looking and riding as a guy could ask for. He was making quite the mountain horse. Riding in a steep canyon to pack an elk out, the bank gave way. The horse lunged and scrambled as horses do and made the problem worse and rolled down the canyon. My buddy tried to step of on the high side and his spur got caught taking him for the first roll. Spurs broke and he came free, lived to tell about it. What a tragic end to a great horse.
waylon
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby waylon » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:50 am

PEPPY SAN BADGER ? I'LL COUNT HIM ON OUR SIDE AS USING HORSES. HE WAS A GOOD'UN 4SURE. REALLY THE PLAYGUN STYLE IS WHAT I AM AGAINST USING HERE IN MY COUNTRY, NOW ONCE CATTLE ARE PENNED, I'LL SWITCH OVER TO THEM LITTLE QUICK LIGHT COLTS TO SORT WITH. BUT IT'S LIKE HOUNDS VS CURS I SAY USE WHAT YOU LIKE IF YOUR BUYING THERE FEED
ROMANS 3:24
LET YOUR HOUNDS DO THE BRAGGING
Cowboyvon
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Cowboyvon » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:50 pm

That's a bad deal Big Mike but lucky for the rider.. We had a horse fall down a washed out place going over Apache Peak into the Animas about 5 years ago.. it was a friend of mines horse, a big old stout horse but kinda sour.. when we crossed I was in front on that bay gelding in the first picture we slid a little but he just grabbed his ass and made it through.. my buddy got off and led his across but when the horse stepped into it she sat back and the ground gave way and down they went. That horse ended up in a tree with her hind foot up over her head.. wish I would of had a camera.. we got her out and she lived but I'm afraid if she would of been mine she might still be in that tree..

This horse I'm roping on here is stout and tough.. I don't own him but I wish I did.. when he sits down and stops he don't move an inch.. I bet a guy could drag calf's on him all day then take him to the roping that night and then follow the hounds the next morning...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNXRqzUwKlk
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.

Henry David Thoreau
waylon
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby waylon » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:07 pm

Good job first off, I NEVER could rope a bit, thats why i owned head dogs :lol: tried to rope a donkey here once on a grade horse i was working, i was pissed cause i couldn't get the donkey to lead through a gate for nothing so i tossed one on him the horse had never been roped off of and all was fine until we hit the end of the slack and the horse just freaked out and started to spin round and round tying me up in the rope, my buddy came running over and cut me loose or it could have got country real quick.
Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Mike Leonard » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:13 pm

My main hunting horse for the past 10 years or so has been that big gray Gus horse who is a sun of Wheeling Peppy by Little Peppy and Continental King on the other side. 16 hands and has more action then the Chicken Ranch after and oilfield golf tournament. LOL!

He is a good one but you better take a deep seat cuz he can jump sideways ten feet if a cottontail slips up on him. LOL!

Lately my little red Shadow horse has been my mount of choice. He is out of Doc's Lauro who came off the King Ranch and is an own son of Dry Doc, and Laraulito which is foundation King named after oner of their big horse pastures. His mother is and own grandaughter of Sugar Bars and double Leo on the bottom. He is just 15 hands but let me tell you it is mighty hard to find the bottom in that little dude.
MIKE LEONARD
Somewhere out there.............
Dan V
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Dan V » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:01 am

This horse was Hancock and King Fritz bred. I bought him from the Shiner's in Lemhi, ID. I really liked him. He was a natural rope and cow horse, and was great to hunt on. I take my hat off to the people breeding good horses.
waylon
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby waylon » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:48 am

Fine looking horse there Dan & a cool picture, Looks like he could hold that calf all day without a care!
Cowboyvon
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Cowboyvon » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:29 am

Looks like you have everything under control... people in California thought more of King Fritz then any of them and for good reason... they are great performance horses and could get it done at most anything...

Didn't you know roping is something that's done right handed :shock: .. just kidding I've lost lots of go round money to left handed heelers.. :roll:

Henry David Thoreau
Dan V
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Dan V » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:50 am

Cowboyvon,
I am actually roping right handed in that picture, its just backwards! I scanned that pic from a regular picture and it shows up backwards on here. mirror image kinda thing.

The south paws sure have the inside track heeling though, dont they.
BratcherQuarterHorse
Facebook ID: 0

Postby BratcherQuarterHorse » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:11 pm

Hello ya'll,

Just Googled a search on my stallion, HANCOCKS BLUE REBEL, and came across this blog here. Which one of ya'll own colts by my stud? I'd love to chat with ya about them and would really love seeing some photos of some more of his colts. I've owned Rebel for a few years now and he's a good ole stud and nice using ranch horse for us. Visit my website to see more - We will have colts for sale by Rebel coming up here soon.
Happy trails and I hope to hear something from ya'll, Amy
Cowboyvon
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Cowboyvon » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:00 pm

Don't have any but your not too far from where I was raised in Estancia....I'm sure you know Lonnie Wright and if you've been around horses in New Mexico long you probably know my father Paskell Vaughn?

Henry David Thoreau
Black Mountain
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Black Mountain » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:52 am

I'm a big fan of the Hancocks, had 2 studs and a band of about 15 mares for about 12 years. My main stud had 7 crosses to Blue Valentine and 21 crosses to Joe Hancock. He was a real nice 15.2 hnd, 1380 lb boy that wore a number 2 shoe. Bay roan in color and gentle as they come. He has colts scattered all over Utah here!! My other stud was a buckskin roan own son of White Lighting Ike and out of a full sister to Lowry Star Jr. All the mares had either Driftwood Ike, Orphan Drift, White Lighting Ike, Blue Valentine, or Hancocks Blue Boy right on their papers and a lot of them had 3 or 4 of these horses on their papers.
We did a whole lot of hunting and cowboying on these horses and they were the real deal!
BAR BAR 2
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby BAR BAR 2 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:18 am

Here is my newest buy. Blue Valentine is on the top and bottom along with Two Eyed Jack once and Driftwood is just off the papers. He is only a 3yr old with a few rides, so I have alot of work to do yet. I figured out today that most of his rides have been in an arena rather than outside. According to the people I bought him from, he was tested at UC Davis and has the double roan gene and is guaranteed to throw roan colts. People have already asked to breed to him, but the nuts are coming off ASAP.

Tex
Attachments
20141020_140519-2.jpeg
=2

Return to “Horse/Mule Disscussion”