Lion hunt

Talk about Horses and Mules.
Spencer
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Lion hunt

Postby Spencer » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:55 pm

Looking for a little guidance here. I am interested in going Mountain Lion hunting. A few things that have to be part of the hunt. It has to be with hounds, It has to be horseback (I suppose mules would be fine also) And I would like to do it in the desert southwest (Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada...). Not really interested in wading through waist deep snow to get to the cat. I am not sure actually taking one is the ultimate goal for me so much as the experience, but I obviously want to hear the hounds and spend the hours horse/mule back. Being from the North-east, the countryside in the desert southwest is very intriguing and I would like to see it but not form a highway.

What time of the year is this done?
What is the wait time for most outfitters? 1 year, 2-3 years?
Do Outfitters ever allow ride alongs with another party as opposed to actually being the hunter?

Any tips/advice/leads would be appreciated.

Lodging arrangments do not need to be 4 star, I have no problem with bunkhouse/tent type and dont need gourmet meals.

Thanks
pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Re: Lion hunt

Postby pegleg » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:28 pm

I'm not a outfitter so don't hold me to their prices. Most guys are getting out when the temps allow. Price is usually 3-5000. But there's always someone charging more and some less as low as 1000. Most hunts with a client seem to be in the winter and early spring when conditions are favorable. I don't think you'd enjoy a week camped out right now the temp and humidity difference between here and there tends to make people miserable. Once the cooler weather rolls around its not as dusty the pollen and mold that is so hard on sinuses is much lower and it won't shock your system as badly. If your just looking to tag along and not harvest game. You can probably strike a proposition with someone. However honestly between transportation,lodging,food and misc expenses you would probably spend little more to hire the hunt. Good luck hope it happens for you.
Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Mike Leonard » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:07 am

Spencer,

contact http://chasintailaz.com/

You won't find a better deal and when you are done you can truely say you have lion hunted in the heart of traditional lion country the traditional way. Great guys, super hounds and the country is truely magical.

Well worth the investment.
MIKE LEONARD
Somewhere out there.............
Spencer
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Spencer » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:09 am

Thanks to all that PM'd and posted. I have some fantastic opportunities to look at.

Now, I just need to get Mama on board with the idea. :D
My wife is a little skeptical, but I think I can convince her without A lot of :agmnt
Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Mike Leonard » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:43 am

Take her along. AFTER SHE SPENDS A DAY OR TWO ON A NICE MULE OUT IN THE BEAUTIFUL COUNTRY SHE WILL WANT TO RELOCATE THERE. LOL!
MIKE LEONARD
Somewhere out there.............
Spencer
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Spencer » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:14 pm

Spencer
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Spencer » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:50 am

Thanks again for all of the PM's and posts. Looks like there are some great guides out there. I had to settle for a 5 day hunt(Wife said a 10 day hunt with two travel days is waayyyy to long to be gone from the farm) But I am happy to be able to get away to hunt for the 5 days. Last few days in November, first few days of December.

Return to “Horse/Mule Disscussion”