Shoeing stock

Talk about Horses and Mules.
travshan
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Shoeing stock

Postby travshan » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:48 pm

Anyone got a shoeing stock? Got a mule that is real bad to shoe. Would be willing to buy one if someone has one they are not using.
Utah
BAR BAR 2
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Re: Shoeing stock

Postby BAR BAR 2 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:56 pm

I can build you one if you cant find one to buy. Just draw up what you want and we can go from there. Ive builts several different styles of stocks in the past. Your imagination and checkbook are the only limting factors, but I would think something pretty simple would suffice. If you are interested just shoot me a line.

Thanks,
Tex
=2
catdogs
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 100001341185120

Postby catdogs » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:23 pm

you tried tying up a hind leg? most mules catch on to that pretty fast.
Once you go black, you'll never go back! Duncan big game Black and Tans.
Benny G
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Benny G » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:59 pm

"What I really need is a system that when I push a button it will shock that dog there, when I push this other button I can shock the other dog over there, and a button that I can push to shock all twenty dogs at the same time!" - Clell Lee

Benny
When in doubt, ask someone that knows, not just claims to know.
travshan
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby travshan » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:43 pm

I would dare bet not a man in the country can shoe this mule without wadding her up on the ground. We have tried everything including enough drugs to kill an elephant. You just have to throw her down to get her done. Best mule I ever had to ride and anything else. My kids ride her, she would not kick you for anything but you head toward her with a pair of nippers and a rasp and she turns into the devil.
Any other advice would be good. Thanks
Benny G
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Benny G » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:31 pm

Tie her down and walk away. Wad her up with all four feet TIGHT together, and then tie her halter right in amongst her feet...TIGHT. Leave her in the sun in a wad for an hour and a half. She should be completely covered in sweat, and no longer fighting the ropes. When you turn her loose, if the tying worked to ANY extent, she will just lay flat out and not even try to get up. Pull her up by pulling her head around with the lead rope, and coaxing her up. Pick up a foot, and if she gives you ANY trouble, put her in the dirt again and walk away again, just like the first time. EVERYTHING with a mule is mental -- who's training who? IF things have progressed too far negatively between you and her, you might have to spend more time un-doing what has been done. SHE CAN BE CHANGED if she's not too old.

Or, you could always get a nice, level headed gelding, and not put up with a pig headed mule. :P
"What I really need is a system that when I push a button it will shock that dog there, when I push this other button I can shock the other dog over there, and a button that I can push to shock all twenty dogs at the same time!" - Clell Lee

Benny
When in doubt, ask someone that knows, not just claims to know.
Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Mike Leonard » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:16 am

Benny,

your remedy reminded me of a story an old mule man from Benalillo told me one time. He said whenever I get a new mule I want that mule to trust me and owe me a little bit so this is what I do.

I have these two young cowboys down the road that help me. I just park my truck right out there near the mule pen and feed that mule a little bit and get in my truck right in front of it and drive away. Well in a little bit in pulls this strange truck wit these two cowboys. They go in wad that mule up and tie it down on the ground all sacked up like you mentioned and they lay a big old log or railroad tie over the mule's neck. then they get back in their truck and drive away. Well I wait a good while and let that mule lay there and think about it and really get to worrying about his future and then i drive in. I jump out and run over to the mule consoling it ( oh you poor thing, let me help out of this mess.) I untie it get it up and pet it all over and make a big fuss over it and then i feed it a little more. Well that old mule thinks for all the world I and the best SOB in the world cuz i rescued it from certain death and disaster and it will never forget the favor I did it. LOL!

Now he swore this worked but I have alwasy been a little suspect of it myself. But i do know one thing that mule will never, ever forget them two young cowboys down the road. LOL!!
MIKE LEONARD
Somewhere out there.............
super white hunter
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby super white hunter » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:43 pm

Did the mule use to be OK with it. you might want to have a vet check him out and make sure there is not a hidden issue that is causing him pain.

here is the link for a stock that we use works great for shoeing, breeding and teeth

drcanning.com just go to the products link.
"When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty". Thomas Jefferson
sdakotatough
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby sdakotatough » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:18 am

I am a Farrier and Aceapromazene has did wonders for me on the bad ones and saved me from getting hurt or having a reck.

I would hit him or her with some Ace before tying them up especially a mule( If it is a bad exsperience they will never forget)

Just my two cents
dan kluthe
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby dan kluthe » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:28 pm

Tie the mule up, as Benny suggested: The mule NEEDS to never forget.
Catch
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Catch » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:29 am

The Mule feels vulnerable and its first line of defense is to run. In my opinion never "make" a mule do anything. Always teach in a manner that the mule thinks it is doing it on its own. Tying the legs togther works on dumb animals such as Horses, but don't do it to a Mule. Either this mule was never taught the correct way or it has had a bad encounter with shoeing. Either way, start over with the basics and you can teach your mule to be shod correctly. It you want to do it fast and easy, get the rope and hog tie it. If you do hog tie it, don't be surprised if the mule gets hard to catch when your packing a rope. JMO

Return to “Horse/Mule Disscussion”