looking for a 14" high back western saddle

Talk about Horses and Mules.
fairchildfarms

looking for a 14" high back western saddle

Postby fairchildfarms » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:23 am

I am looking for a 14" high backed western saddle for my son. All the saddles I have found have low cantles and teach young kids to sit on their pockets. If you have something that may fit the bill you can PM me here or call (906)322-4388
Thanks,
Amanda
Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Re: looking for a 14" high back western saddle

Postby Mike Leonard » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:41 am

Amanda,

I will keep my eyes peeled for one occasionaly I will run into some that are traded off the reservations.

Oh by the way you are correct children and adults that start riding in a high back with a correct seat and a longer stirrup will develop a better saddle form that those who slop out in a big low seat with a short arena type stirrup. The muscles of the core develop and the abdominal pull in and the chest goes out and the shoulders back with heels down and in correct line with the rider's neck and ear. Once this style is develped and trained people will find they can ride many more comfortable miles and it is also much easier on the horse keeping that weight forward and off the loins and kidneys of the animal.

If you will study photos of old time range riders and cowboys you will see that it wasn't just style that developed the tack and the way they sat a horse, they made a living in the saddle and it was purely function.

However it must be noted that just because a saddle has a high back if the seat and the dish are not correct it is merely cosmetic. Avoid saddles with too much rise in the forward part of the seat towards the gullet becasue this also forces you back and could get you whacked in the middle of the back by that high cantle.

Good luck!
MIKE LEONARD
Somewhere out there.............

Return to “Horse/Mule Disscussion”