Postby Dan V » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:20 am

Robin, the saddle looks outstanding.
R Severe
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Re: Saddle in progress.

Postby R Severe » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:09 pm

Thanks Dan, glad you like it.
How'd your ride go? Cool enough for the dogs, any tracks?

Thought I'd post a few of my personal thoughts on ordering custom saddles. I've been at this trade just about 34 years and I've formed a few opinions. What I put on this thread is just a small window into what goes into a custom saddle. I could have posted over a hundred photos of just the tree process and not covered just that one type of tree. It took me my first six years to learn how to build the 20 or so trees I build.

Number one in importance is your tree. Choose it wisely for the job your gonna do and the horses you ride (or mule) Learn as much as you can on the different types of trees, materials used and how they should fit. Find out what trees your saddlemaker uses and why.

Every part of your tree and saddle should be based on function first. After you make all your choices on what you think will do the job the best for your horse and you then decide how you want to dress it up. Your horse will thank you and you'll have a saddle that will keep you happy for several years.

The perfect saddle dosn't exist. Every option you choose has positive things and minis things.
How you balance these tradeoffs will determine how well you like the saddle for the job your gonna do.

I could go on but you get my drift I think. Thanks for looking and hope you have great rides on great horses in great country.
Robin
Robin Severe
Eastern Oregon

Return to “Horse/Mule Disscussion”