Training

Talk about Horses and Mules.
thunder 12
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Training

Postby thunder 12 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:07 pm

Any info on how to gun train a horse or is there any books got a horse and gonna start hunting off it just wanted to see how to trai. To hoot of it
tedsmith
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Training

Postby tedsmith » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:41 pm

I use a 22 rifle, single shot, shorts work best in the beginning, not as loud, point gun off to the side and shoot. do your best not to get to make a big deal out of it, and your horse should do the same, providing its broke and sensible, maybe a snort and a side step or two, usually not much more. I like being on top rather than on the ground in case it wants to through a fit. After a few shots they usually don't pay much attention to it any more. Move up to a bigger gun. I don't know your horse, but a tired horse will be a benefit, if you have any doubt, good luck and be safe.
Ted Smith
thunder 12
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby thunder 12 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:34 pm

Thank u I will give it a go and see how it turns out thank u
Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Mike Leonard » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:20 pm

If you go on you tube there are several good demos on how to do it quick. We work slow with our horses and we submitt them early to the same gun dog training auidos over an extended period od time. It moves up to where it is continious 20 and 12 gauge shotgun fire going off. after that i use the plastic packing bags and pop them when I am feeding and before long they get the jump out of them and you can move right up to bigger guns. Be sure to ear plug them if you are shooting off their back. If you look in SASS or mounted shooting magazines you can get these.
MIKE LEONARD
Somewhere out there.............

Return to “Horse/Mule Disscussion”