Farrier DVD

Talk about Horses and Mules.
JTG
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Farrier DVD

Postby JTG » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:23 pm

I am looking to buy a DVD on trimming horses and mules hoofs. Can anyone help me out? I have been using a guy for years but he is no longer working out. I do not need shoes, just trim.
pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Farrier DVD

Postby pegleg » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:13 am

Barefoot trims should carry a nice ring of horn about half to three quarters inch longer then the sole on a healthy hoof in mild soil. I'm not sure where you ride or the quality of your horses hooves. But that's a pretty general guide. There's books on winter or turn out trimming workhorses that are real in depth but most are older. There's also a few quick you tube videos but if they cover the needed info I'm not sure. Another option is some vets farriers and horse clubs associations often give workshops. Community colleges are another option.
More detail on what you want to know might be helpful. In most plains or grassland areas horses don't truly need a lot of hoof work if kept pastured. There's been some really bad cases "cured" by a year on grass.
JTG
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby JTG » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:19 am

Thanks for your help. The soil here is dirt, clay or sand. My mule and three horses hoofs are in good shape. One horse gets hair line cracks on one of her front hoofs. Mine are on grass all the time, never had shoes on any of them, but I still like to trim their hoofs every six to eight weeks.
I am really looking for a DVD from a professional farrier. Tired of waiting around and I have to be here anyway when they come.
horshur
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby horshur » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:55 am

pay more they will show up on time........not kidding.. get a pro.
Henefer-hound-hunter
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Henefer-hound-hunter » Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:35 am

Get on YouTube and type in mustang roll. This is the best trim to run your horses and mules barefoot, we have a lot of shale, and rocky areas in my area and out of ten horses and one mule only one of our horses needs shod(she has four soft white hooves). My dad is a farrier and believes this to be the most natural safe way to take care of a horses feet, but it doesn't work for every horse. Watch those videos on YouTube and you will figure it out it's a reall easy trim to do. Hope this helps

Cameron
JTG
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby JTG » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:09 pm

Thank you, Cameron.
JTG
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby JTG » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:21 pm

Cajun
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Cajun » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:55 pm

If you could ride with a Farrier for a day or two, that would be all it would take. You can also know how far to take one down by feeling the sole with your thumb. If it starts to give, that is far enough. In the beginning measure the toe & make sure the fronts & back are the same length & better yet, get a hoof gauge. Will help you our a lot. Every horse is different. Your whitefooted horse might need to be trimmed a little earlier then the others to prevent the cracking. Like said, check out the you tube videos.
MIKE CAULEY
BAYOU CAJUN KENNELS

Happiness is a empty dogbox &
RELENTLESS PURSUIT

Return to “Horse/Mule Disscussion”