Ol blue the elk pointing mule

Talk about Horses and Mules.
elkheadb&t
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Ol blue the elk pointing mule

Postby elkheadb&t » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:06 pm

Ol Blue the elk pointing mule

This story starts one night in elk camp while discussing where we were to hunt the next morning.Dad says to us " I think i am just gonna ride ol Blue up to the rock and kill me a bull in the morning". Well, its almost noon the next day and I find myself tring to out run a herd of elk that are fileing around a ridge above me.ha!. After tiring quickly I find myself on a ridge not far above dad and ol Blue so I decide to give them a visit. I found the pair loungeing around at dads fovorite stand. We finished off what was left in dad's saddle bags for lunch and killed several bulls as we sat and shot the breeze along with makeing some strategic plans on how we were actually gonna get one. All of a sudden ol Blue comes to full alert, ears forward,head lowered,right leg lifted,and nose turned into the wind. I say to dad whats up with that, He says "Well, ol Blue's got the wind of an elk". So I bite and ask "Is it a bull?" Dad says "Well you bet! Look there he pawed the ground five times must be a five point". With ol Blue's persistence, we decide we better check out whats got his attention. So we head off with rifles in hand in the direction that ol Blue pointed us. We hadn't gone more than fourty yards from our lunch site when we spotted a bull laying under a pine tree just up the hill above us. After a quick flurry of I'll be damded, BULL , the sound the of rifle chambers working, and some fine marksmanship ol Blue's bull is harvested. When the dust settled, the adrenalen levels droped, and we retreived ol Blue, we made it up the to where the bull lay. And low and behold it turns out to be a nice five point bull. And thats how the legend of dads elk pointing mule ol Blue came to be.
Dad and ol Blue are both gone now,that was just one of the memories and stories dad used to tell around the fire, or when there was a bunch of us just sittin around haven a beer. I guess this is just my way of letting him tell it one more time.
Remember to take the kids hunting you will have a hunting partner for life. Some of my best memories are of hunts made with my Dad and with my own kids.Hunting with your family and friends isn't just a hunting trip its something that gets in your soul and stays forever. Hope you enjoyed the story.
R Severe
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby R Severe » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:54 am

I sure enjoyed it, thanks.
Arkansas Frog
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Arkansas Frog » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:02 am

Frog

Return to “Horse/Mule Disscussion”