Short Rough Pack Trip

Talk about Horses and Mules.
Cowboyvon
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Short Rough Pack Trip

Postby Cowboyvon » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:01 am

A buddy and I took another Pack Trip end of last year .. roughest couple of days we have ever had

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.

Henry David Thoreau
rockytrails
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Short Rough Pack Trip

Postby rockytrails » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:42 pm

Another good one. I know a couple trails that probably need clearing too.
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:35 pm

I can see why Ben Lily preferred to travel on foot. It would be faster. Not sure how he carried his bed mattress and box springs though.

Thanks for another good video.
Cowboyvon
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Cowboyvon » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:22 pm

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.

Henry David Thoreau
Dan V
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Dan V » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:02 am

Seems to be a reoccurring theme, lack of trail maintenance. Seems like there are fewer and fewer people using stock in the back country and a lot of the old trails on the maps aren't maintained or are simply gone after fires and numerous decades.

I visited with an old family friend who used to spend a couple months a year packing in the "primitive area" and I found a lot of his old trails would need a logging crew and a Caterpillar to get horses through them
pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby pegleg » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:47 am

It's true anywhere I've been the last several years. Some of these rangers will fine you for removing brush from trails. And then you hear the complaints about how difficult it is for fire crew's to navigate. I suppose it's just the way things will be until another change comes along. It seems these Forrest personnel have gotten so used to riding around in a vehicle the fail to realise one tree in the wrong spot blocks a trail as effectively as a wall.
Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Mike Leonard » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:57 pm

It is happening everywhere. they want all people, even sandal wearing tree huggers along with their animals cows, horses, or whatever off Govt. land.

The agenda has been in place a long time and it is more than just AGENDA 21 and the Sustainable Biosphere Group, careful investigation will reveal The United Nations and some of the wealthiest and most corrupt people in the world, it its corner.

Keep them poor and uniformed, all crowed together in big cities and totally dependent on the Govt. They don't want free thinkers or freedom lovers out there doing their own thing, cuz those type of folks are dangerous to their long term agenda.

The elite are totally convinced that there are far too many people on earth and we can't sustain life, so attempts at population control are inevitable. Believe it or not or believe the bought and paid for media, the next time they release another covey of wolves is just another way of saying.

KEEP OUT!!
MIKE LEONARD
Somewhere out there.............
ol'guy
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby ol'guy » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:30 am

You got that right Mike
shade
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby shade » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:46 am

Hell Mike I think there are to many people. Can't seem to go anywhere and not run into them. It wouldn't be so bad but 99 percent of the time its the type I don't want to talk to.
Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Mike Leonard » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:55 pm

You know out here in the west and southwest we don't often think about there being too many people. We have vast tracks of Federal and State Trust lands that are unoccupied, so you would think the hunting situation would be a pristine and untainted. Not so..

Due to the way these lands are managed and mismanaged, it can be anything but pristine.

I was talking to an old lion hunting friend the other day who lives right where the famous Ben Lilly use to base his hunts from. This area is famous for some of the best know dry ground lion hunters who ever lived. This man lives right next door to 3 million acres of Wilderness, so you would think he is in hunting paradise. He said a person can ride for days and weeks thru it with a good pack of hound and never strike a lion's track or even see an old paw print on the trail. The prey base in this area mainly mule deer are almost gone. Why is this? Is it the fact that it use to be lion country and they killed out all the deer? Hardly lion numbers are never dense enough in desert range to really wipe out a deer herd. Well did deer hunters just kill too many deer? No again the limited number of buck only tags that are issued could not kill out all the deer. Habitat loss? Well maybe to some extent due to drought, but this is a cyclical thing and generally the range rebounds and game numbers come back up. Disease? Doubtful, no incidence of CWD, or bluetongue have been noted in these areas. What does this leave? PREDATORS IN LARGE NUMBERS. Coyotes over run the area, and the fawn mortality is extreme. Coyote trappers can make a dent but fur prices are such that not many of them are trapping, callers and drive by coyote shooters have almost no impact.

How did we control large numbers of coyotes in the past when the deer herd flourished. An aggressive 10-80 funded program, and denning programs to eliminate the pups before they got up and going. It was harsh and I am not saying I like the idea because as a young person I recall friends and family losing a few bird dogs to the coyote getters, but we had almost no coyotes, and we had deer, bobcats and lions a plenty. Lions and cats don't feed the same as scavengers and they were unaffected by the poison.

Why not just start that program again and bring back the deer?

It won't happen because it would wipe out their wolf program, and also some raptors such as eagles and hawks are affected so that is a thing of the past.

So the agenda is pretty much leave it alone turn the wolf loose, maybe a few grizzly bears and let the roads and trails grow over and all the town folks , just sent them to the mall.
MIKE LEONARD
Somewhere out there.............

Return to “Horse/Mule Disscussion”