above ground kennels

Share Ideas, Plans and what ever else about kennels and dog Boxes.
houndcrazy93
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 100000914143470

above ground kennels

Postby houndcrazy93 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:40 am

hey everyone was wondering if any of you guys keep your dogs in them. i like the looks and idea of them. i seen them on coondawgs. and was wondering how you think they wouldwork for keeping biggamehounds instead of coonhounds. thanks for the help

hound hunting isnt a sport, its a way of life
Bearkiller
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: above ground kennels

Postby Bearkiller » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:51 pm

I built one after I saw it on there. I didn't care for it. There wouldn't be a difference with coon dogs or biggame dogs, though. The only difference is they are cheaper to build.
Don't buy the hype.

"Those who hammer their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson
Huntintony
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Huntintony » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:54 pm

I've been using them for years. I like them. I can move them around really easy which helps to keep the area underneath them clean, and enables me to put them under shade in the 100 degree heat here in Cali. easily.
I usually rototill underneath each kennel and add Lime. Which makes for no stink or flies.
My dogs seem to like them. I let them roam free together all day and usually i find when i go to put them away at night, that they are already in their kennels. Seems to work good for me and my dogs.

Tony
Tony Steelman
Steelmanstrophyhuntingranch.com
livetohunt
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby livetohunt » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:23 am

Hey Tony what did you build the bottom out of? Also have you seen it help them in keeping their feet tough? I would think it would even with only spending the night in them on it.
Huntintony
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Huntintony » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:21 am

1x1's. I space them 1/1/2 inches apart so the poop falls through. I'm not sure I it makes their feet tougher, I think that's due to genes and conditioning.
Tony Steelman
livetohunt
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby livetohunt » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:35 pm

Thanks tony. I was thinking they were wire on the bottom like some of the ones I had seen on other sites. Im sure that it is genes and conditioning I was just thinking if they were made of wire like the ones I had seen it would play into the conditioning of there feet.
Huntintony
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Huntintony » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:49 pm

I chose to use wood. Easy to clean and easy to move around. Two people can move them easily. You can build them for around 100.00 each.
Tony Steelman
inchtowntracking
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby inchtowntracking » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:23 pm

Do you gus have a wb address or pictures I can see?
Huntintony
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Huntintony » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:06 pm

These are from TC on Coondogs- Mine look identicle to these.

Tony Steelman
desertdog
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 100000622930931

Postby desertdog » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:19 pm

Jeez, what a way to live, like a damm chicken.
Huntintony
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Huntintony » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:23 pm

Yeah, thats what I thought at first also. But my dogs are out most of the time running free. They only go in there at night or when in heat.
Tony Steelman
Huntintony
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Huntintony » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:30 pm

TC had this posted for his dog kennels;

The top rails are 8ft. The bottom rails are 10ft, so I can leave 2 ft over hang out past the rear legs to set the house on. From top of top side rail to bottom of bottom side rail is 42 inches, so I can use 3 ft high fence or material and it lands about in the middle of the side rails so I can attach it. Outside rail to outside rail for the floor is 42 inches. I run the rails on the inside of the legs. The front and back is 4 ft wide, I run the 4 ft cross braces in the front and back across evenly with the outside of the legs. That way I can nail or deck screw the cross braces to the top side rails and bottom side rails at the ends and to the face of the legs. It interlocks the whole kennel frame. The legs are 6ft 4x4's.
Materials needed;
4 treated 4x4 x6ft. 2/10ft 2x4 treated/ 5 8ft 2x4 treated/ 32 4ft 2x2 untreated/ 16ft 3ft high chain link fence/ 1 full 4x8 1/4 inch sheet of plywood/ 1/2 sheet of 1/2 in plywood. 1 dog house, nails ,screws ,2 hinges,1 latch-----they come out 6ft high 8 ft long. Close to 4 ft wide, floor is 3 ft off ground, door on one end , dog house on the other. Use the 10 ft 2x4 for bottom rails. Leave 2 ft of them sticking out past legs to set the dog house on. 2 8ft 2x4 as top rails. Frame both ends with cut 2x4 , space 2x2 1-1/2 inches apart for floor, and fence the sides. 8 ft down each side, put 1-8ft 2x4 down the center of top so roof bows over it. Place a full sheet of plywood on top for the roof and the half sheet is for the front with door........simple.......if you interlock your framing on the ends they will not wiggle, wobble or walk. I use different types of roofing than plywood now. I use that stuff for porch awnings. (Plastic).
Tony Steelman
houndcrazy93
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 100000914143470

Postby houndcrazy93 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:27 am

alright thanks for the help everyone i figured out what i am doing

hound hunting isnt a sport, its a way of life
Bearkiller
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Bearkiller » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:52 am

Keep in mind that 4' by 8' may not be enough square footage per dog for your local orinances. They aren't for our county ordinances and I live in a lot more conservative state than you. I really don't think these are big enough unless your dogs are out EVERY day. Especially with the limited hunting you can do in washington. They would be perfect for a beagle sized dog, though.
Don't buy the hype.

"Those who hammer their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

Return to “Kennels and Dog Boxes”