Dog Waterer

Share Ideas, Plans and what ever else about kennels and dog Boxes.
Houndhead
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Dog Waterer

Postby Houndhead » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:11 pm

I'm looking for ideas for having water available for the dogs in the dog box whenever they want.I was think of something with a nipple like is used for pigs, where they can push it to get water.Has anyone done anything like this?
zachvu
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Re: Dog Waterer

Postby zachvu » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:20 pm

"Copper has treed quarry"
mofo21
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby mofo21 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:28 pm

livetohunt
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby livetohunt » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:31 am

I seen a spill proof water bowl that really worked not sure who makes them but they work slick inside a dog box. I would send Plott Proud a PM and ask him about them. Other then that I have tryed the hog ones your talking about in my kennels and the dogs didnt like them at all. I know they make one for horses that has a ball that just needs to be pushed down something like that might work better. I have found that just mounting coffee cans inside each side works great. I keep them full and can snap the lids on and off as needed, when Im driving I just leave them about 1/2 full and the lid off if they need water.
donbhuntn
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby donbhuntn » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:43 am

fill up a couple2litter bottles with water,freeze,throw im dog box.they help cool down box and as it condensates the dogs can lick the water.when your fixn to turn loose or load up,pour the melted water ina bowl and let the dog drink.
Hunter
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Hunter » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:43 am

My uncle made one out of a licks it and just threaded in a nipple where he could pressurize the take with a compressor. Worked good from what I remember but, that was 10 years ago and he sold the trailor when he got out of bird dogs.
Dale T
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Dale T » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:55 pm

I just bought a couple of no spill waterers for my dog box at pet smart, they are plastic with a snap on lid that has a lip inside of the 3-4 in hole in the top and hold about 2-3 quarts, I haven't used them yet and I'm not sure if the dogs will chew them up or not.
mark
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby mark » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:32 pm

Google search . . . . The Origional Buddy Bowl . . . . They are plastic and will hold a half a gallon water and work great. I wish they were chew proof
floridacathunter
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 100000875297200

Postby floridacathunter » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:28 pm

We use a homemade waterer. We use a 3 gallon plastic bucket, with a snap on lid. Usually available at Home Depot or Lowes building supply. Five gallon buckets work as well, only taller. these are used by fast food places (contain pickles). I cut a hole in the lid about 6 inches in diameter. I used a large coffee can for a pattern for this hole. Then we cut a round circular piece of Cypress board 3/4 to 1" thick. I suppose any kind of bouyant wood would do.These boards should be about 8 or 9 inches in diameter. They need to be smaller than the inside of bucket and larger than the hole in the lid. Put board in the bucket, and replace lid. Fill up with water. We have the bail snapped inside our dog box. Very little spillage. You need to occassionally let the board dry out, or it will waterlog and sink. Some dogs will chew lids or buckets, but they are cheap to replace ( the buckets). Not my idea, came from South Texas cat hunter Mike Rooke. I don't know where he got it, but it sure works for us. Hope it helps. I'll hush now. John
floridacathunter
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby floridacathunter » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:34 pm

Hey I forgot something. Mr Finny Clay told me had some metal ones made like this years before we started using these. This probably cost more but would solve chewing problem. I'll hush now, John
livetohunt
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby livetohunt » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:40 pm

floridacathunter, What a great idea thanks for sharing with us. I would think them small buckets that laundry soap comes in would work outstanding they have to be right around 2 1/2 to 3 gallons. I also wonder how using a cheap kids rubber ball in place of the wood would work. Just to keep from having to dry the wood out, the ball should keep buoyant forevery. I will have to play with this idea and see how it works. Im always looking for ways to get more water to the dogs. When bear opens here its still in the 100's and most of bear season is very warm and dry.
floridacathunter
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby floridacathunter » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:43 am

Hey, Livetohunt, Drying the board out is no problem, really. Has only needed to be done when I failed to empty buckets for several weeks. A ball might work, I don't Know. The purpose of the flat board floating is to prevent sloshing. Not sure if a round ball would be as effective. Give it a try. Good Luck. I'll hush now. John

Return to “Kennels and Dog Boxes”