I am at a crossroad

Share Ideas, Plans and what ever else about kennels and dog Boxes.
covert
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

I am at a crossroad

Postby covert » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:06 am

So this crossroad that I am at is on a dog box. I found out that I can get all the wood i want for free at work to do with it what ever i want. 99% of everything there is 1/2 ply or better. everything from 4x8 to 4x4 sheets to boxes already built with 2x6 floors in them. So should i go ahead and just build me a wooden dog box for the truck and ranger. That has been my largerest issue to getting hunting this year because money was tight and the wife but an ax to my hunting budget this year since we are having so much fun with family :roll: esp the nefews poor kids dont have a chance in life if they dont get smartened up quickly......... :roll: But that is a whole nother story. Or should i wait until i can buy a nice alum box or build an alum box? I am leaning to the whole wood and paint and get hunting. Cheeper that way and doors cut out quick with 4 drill holes and a jig saw. I have plenty of hinges and what not laying around the house other projects that did not need them.
If you ain't cheating you ain't trying! "thank you Navy for that little one"
Shawn Covert
Lee
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Re: I am at a crossroad

Postby Lee » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:49 pm

I live in Oregon and there is a lot of moisture so those alum boxes sweat a lot and hold the moisture. Wet bedding and chilled dogs aren't pleasant in the winter. I like a good wood box. You can build them cheap and they will last a long time if you paint them.
Patrick
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Patrick » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:20 pm

Build yourself a wooden box, put only as much time and money into it such that it suits your purpose. It only has to get the dogs from home to the woods and back again safetly and conveniently. Spend the money on gas and boots.
I have yet to see a dog box catch a varmint, or a truck tree a varmint. They are simply tools and have to be functional. Leave worrying about things being pretty and shiny (like aluminum) to the women. Worry about hunting the hair off the dogs, ideally they will be under trees and not modeling on a dog box.

When you put it together, consider important things like:
Build it such that when it rains or the snow melts the wet stays on the outside.
Build it such that you can have proper ventilation which depends your conditions.
Slap a coat of leftover paint on it every now and then to freshen it up if you wife complains it is getting too ratty.

I also prefer a wooden box
DirtyDave
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby DirtyDave » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:05 am

Cant go wrong with free wood. Build it and go hunting.

Return to “Kennels and Dog Boxes”