Dog runs?

Share Ideas, Plans and what ever else about kennels and dog Boxes.
Rico
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Dog runs?

Postby Rico » Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:48 am

Building a new kennel and was thinking about using cinder blocks on the dog runs. The runs are 14 feet long and 5 feet wide, I would stack the cinder blocks 3 high on the walls and then put the dog panels on top of the blocks. So the finale height of the dog run walls would be about 6 feet tall. Does anyone have any experience with blocks for partial walls in their runs? Thanks for any info.
Jeff Eberle
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Dog runs?

Postby Jeff Eberle » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:33 am

You will need to seal the block or the urine will soak into the block and stink.
Get JESUS In Your Life & Your Dog's In The Wood's

CLAVEY RIVER CUR'S
al baldwin
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby al baldwin » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:59 am

Of course, build your kennel as it pleases you, but in my opinion the block would not be a good idea. I would pour a concrete slab with a good lite, lite broom finish & good slope for quick drainage. Construct the fence with about three inch clearance of the slab at the bottom to allow for more ease of cleaning. Avoid as many bird baths as possible when pouring and finishing your slab. Just what experience has taught me. Good luck Al
catdogs
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 100001341185120

Postby catdogs » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:24 pm

It would seem to me that for blocks you would still have to pour a footing and then lay all the blocks. Might as well just pour a stem wall. Whatever you do, hurry up. Tired of boarding your dog! :roll:
Once you go black, you'll never go back! Duncan big game Black and Tans.
Nolte
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Nolte » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:06 pm

I don't have any experience with partial block walls but I thought about doing it for my next one. I know you've got to get the chain link panels elevated as best you can cause otherwise they get ate up. Also if you use tin for the back the bottom couple inches will just disintegrate so I'm trying to think of what to put on the bottom next go round.
driftwood blue
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby driftwood blue » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:22 pm

A brick or 2 works pretty good at each end of the panels to elevate them just enough to get them out of the constant exposure to the urine.. just a dab of masonery cement will hold them in place. I first used 1" square steel tubing welded together, only took 10 years to rust away.
the galvanized pipe on the panels sure lasted OK when slightly raised!( since 1986)
Rico
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Rico » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:18 am

Thanks for the info guys. Was thinking that I would use the blocks to keeps the urine from eating away the panels and then paint the blocks or use some sort of sealant so that they didn't get saturated with urine. Now I am thinking that just a concrete slab will be easier and less money in the long run. With the blocks yes you do have to pour footers.

To those of you that do have a slab is it a must to have a drain system?

Driftwood, I also build my first set of panels out of 1'' square tubing and they made it 13 years before rusting through. Would really like to get away from that PITA. I will still have to use the galvanized panels but will be using a heavier walled pipe.
Allen

Postby Allen » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:38 pm

I have similar pens for beagles. Have heave wire in the middle and boards on each end to lay on. Word of caution. One of my beagles got her tail stuck through a gap in the boards and was there all night. I had to pry the boards apart with a crowbar and she could not use her back legs. Drug her back end around for a couple hours before she got to where she could stand. She got over it but could have been disastrous. Get the gaps open far enough.

Return to “Kennels and Dog Boxes”