plastic barrels

Share Ideas, Plans and what ever else about kennels and dog Boxes.
walkerhoundsjandrin
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

plastic barrels

Postby walkerhoundsjandrin » Thu May 05, 2016 11:08 am

I am looking at getting a few of them blue plastic barrels to use as temporary kennels for the summer to keep my dogs at a cabin during training season here in WI. Just wondering how you guys use these plastic barrels, as far as how do you keep them from moving or rolling around the yard, and how do you chain a dog up to them? any pictures or descriptions would be greatly appreciated.
Dan Edwards
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Re: plastic barrels

Postby Dan Edwards » Thu May 05, 2016 1:53 pm

Screw 2xs to the side of em from the inside out and they wont roll.
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Fri May 06, 2016 4:08 pm

Use a swivel stake out in front of the barrel driven in to the ground with enough chain to get in the barrel but not get behind it. One summer when I had to be gone a lot I used three for each dog. One house, one for food, one for water, with a plywood platform screwed across the top of the three for lounging. It worked well. Get barrels used for food, not chemicals. Drill little drain holes in the house and food barrels.

If you save the cut outs for swinging doors, cut them down to allow room for a tail if it shuts on the tail. If you leave them connected in two spots that will work for hinges for a couple months before they break off. Metal hinges can be bolted on. But I guess you said summer, so, never mind. Lol
walkerhoundsjandrin
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby walkerhoundsjandrin » Mon May 09, 2016 12:47 pm

Thanks appreciate the responses
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Mon May 09, 2016 6:13 pm

Hopefully you have a shady place for the summer. But if you don't, you might try using two barrels and cutting out both ends on one of them so he could always get shade. Two is nice because they are so much more stable when bolted together, and the dogs love having the plywood platform on top. They will spend most of their time up there.

Return to “Kennels and Dog Boxes”