How I'm getting started

Tell us a little about you and your hounds.
OregonCathunter
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

How I'm getting started

Postby OregonCathunter » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:09 pm

Ok so I have heard stories from my uncle (who's brothers always had at least 4 hounds when they were growing up) about bear hunting and cougar hunting before it was outlawed and now I'm interested in bobcat hunting anyone know any good bobber dog breeders in Oregon
Turn E'm loose let e'm run
dwalton
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Re: How I'm getting started

Postby dwalton » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:31 pm

I would advise you to get with some of the bobcat hunters to ride along with to see what it is about before you invest in a dog. As many different ones as you can. Who were your uncles that hunted? Give me a PM of your location and phone number you can ride along with me. Good luck Dewey
OregonCathunter
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby OregonCathunter » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:38 am

OregonCathunter
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby OregonCathunter » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:02 am

ive coon hunted before and hunt cats with my friend and his two walkers I'm interested in getting a Cameron blue to run on cats
Last edited by OregonCathunter on Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:06 am

Check your mailbox.
OregonCathunter
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby OregonCathunter » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:03 am

I understand about getting out and hunting to see if I like it but I've coon hunted before with my own dog that I trained and I go hunting with my friend and his two walkers after cats all the time I can and I'm not trying to offend anyone or anything I'm just wanting to know if anyone knows of a good bluetick or walker bobcat hound breeders in Oregon
al baldwin
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby al baldwin » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:55 am

Several hunters are breeding hounds that have had some success catching bobcat in Oregon. I get the impression you are looking for a hunter who is having 100% of the pups born that make good cat dogs. If, that is what you are looking for, you will not find that breeder. Hunting with some cat hunters should be a big help to you, however remember you will not be buying the pups parents, you are only buying what they produce. Buying a pup from anyone is a gamble, however the more proven cat dogs in the parents lineage, increases your odds of getting a pup that will catch bobcat if given proper guidance & exposure. Wishing you the best Al
OregonCathunter
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby OregonCathunter » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:20 pm

what kind of tracking gps collars would you recommend and has anyone dealt with Sgt micheal's kennel out of gates looks like hes got some nice looking Cameron blues
dwalton
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby dwalton » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:22 pm

Bobcat hunting is not bear,coon or fox hunting. It is a sport all to it's own. Some people hunt nights looking for good tracks, others hunt days wanted to cold trail bobs up. Some hunt for the music, some for the race and some want to see a bobcat the tree. I have know many bear or coon hunters that could never be successful with bobcat hunting. For me it is the ultimate hound hunting. Some people are happy to catch 5or 6 bobcats a years others will do that in a week. The point is there is a lot to becoming a bobcat hunter. It takes year of knowledge and time, hunting with a lot of top hunters you will get a understanding of this. There is always a fork in the road which one you choose can change your life for ever. Think about it don't we all make our own luck. Good luck Dewey
blackcreekboy
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby blackcreekboy » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:09 pm

Pretty generous offer from Dewey,Id take him up on it if I were you.
Don't be in a rush to get a dog ......

Return to “Introduce Yourself”