Questions on my 4 month old walker coon hound.

Tell us a little about you and your hounds.
CoopDog
Facebook ID: 0

Questions on my 4 month old walker coon hound.

Postby CoopDog » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:09 am

Hi there, so i have a 4 month old walker coon hound, both of his parents were avid cougar hunting dogs. My pup is very scared/timid when it comes to other dogs, is this normal? Will he grow out of that. I have also taken him out into some local forest and he has not picked up the trail of anything and gone after it he always stays within about 20-30 feet of me. I got him when he was just under 7 weeks old. Thank you in advance.
walkerhounds25

Re: Questions on my 4 month old walker coon hound.

Postby walkerhounds25 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:49 pm

I'm new to this forum, but I think I can help you out. I have owned quite a few walker hounds that have started that way at a young age. 4 months is still a bit young to be able to tell how they are going to turn out. I have had some that try to start hunting around at a young age and some that don't really click till they are a year or so. It could remain that way or it could completely turn around and be a good dog for you. If it was me, I would give it some time.
pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Re: Questions on my 4 month old walker coon hound.

Postby pegleg » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:33 pm

Well four months is 16 weeks how many dog owners expect anything from a puppy that age? Yeah sometimes pups tree or trail something at that age. But imo it tells you nothing much. I expect them to use their nose early but if it's treeing to early I don't hold much hope for it. Timid at that age is probably just smart a kindergarten kid mouthing off or being cocky would make you wonder about its intelligence right? Just treat it like a normal dog take it out to experience things and when it starts hunting encourage it and you'll be ok

Return to “Introduce Yourself”