I'm not new to hunting or dogs....

Tell us a little about you and your hounds.
Anglermanagement

I'm not new to hunting or dogs....

Postby Anglermanagement » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:31 am

But I'm new to this site, and I'm new to the jagdterrier breed. I've got a 13 week old dog that's teaching me instead of the other way around. I've trained Labradors and Brittany spaniels for 20 years and I've never experienced a breed quite like this jagdterrier. He's already baying coons in a trap, bayed a possum on his own, destroyed a squirrel and did 3 pretty good rabbit tracking drags. Does anyone know of a jagdterrier club or jagdterrier hunt tests where I can go watch? I'm already in awe of these dogs. Just wish I would've known about them 20 years ago.
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Re: I'm not new to hunting or dogs....

Postby david » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:31 am

Welcome to the board. The jagdterriers are a trip. Some are better than others, but the good ones are amazing. Some will tree, some do not. Some have a good homing instinct, some do not. Some hunt hard and wide, and some not so much. Some are actually open trailing, some are mostly silent on track. And in my limited experience, some swim well, and some do not. ( Don't just assume yours knows how to swim. Teach it in a safe situation.)

But I have never known any dog with a bigger heart than a good jagdterrier.

Goggle "go to ground". "Go to ground trials"
"Earth dogs". Etc. there are competitions available depending on where you live.

If your dog will bark treed on squirrel, as some Jagds will, there are hundreds of competition squirrel hunts around the country, and your dog has the gifts to do well, if it trees, and you put in the time training.

If you are in an area with a lot of coon, the jagd can make a coon dog as well, if yours will bark treed and hunt out from you. There are coon competitions for grade dogs/ curs as well.

I have never seen a jagd broke to one type of game. It is probably possible, but it would not be easy to do. I think the word "terrorist" is a derivative of jagdterrier because no critter is safe from a Jagdterrier. So now you are a "terrierist".

We wish you the best, and hope you have fun. (Be careful,some lines of jagds tend to die young. Also, some go into another world in the presence of game, the name of that world might be "Plum Crazy", so be careful that you don't get bit. Know that you could with some Jagds.)

Return to “Introduce Yourself”