New to forum from South Louisiana

Tell us a little about you and your hounds.
LA*MaRSHHUNTeR
Facebook ID: 0

New to forum from South Louisiana

Postby LA*MaRSHHUNTeR » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:18 pm

First things first haven't ever been big on the whole Internet forum thing or Social media. Stumbled upon this site a few months ago while searching the net, got to reading some of the topics and thought it could be useful.

My whole life I've been an avid outdoorsman with duck hunting and fishing at the top of my list. Well long story short. I started having major problems with hogs destroying the marsh on and around my duck hunting property. After several attempts and failures to hunt and trap em, my buddy tells me he's got something that'll go to the hogs instead of waiting on them to come to us. . . . We'll the rest is history!

Needless to say I've been hunting with him and his dogs for quite a while now and I've fallen in love with dog hunting for hogs. Now I'm starting to get a couple of dogs and I'm enjoying raising and training a few of my own.

Also, I love meeting new people and seeing the different ways that other people do things. You can never learn too much! If there's anyone else on here from louisianer give me a shout.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Msbobcat
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Re: New to forum from South Louisiana

Postby Msbobcat » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:04 am

Hey
Welcome !! I spend a lot of time around lafitte,no shortage of coon and bobcats out in the marsh.nobody hunting them either.would have to be done out of a boat.there is some rabbit beagle guys out there.
lmorgan
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby lmorgan » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:00 pm

Welcome to the forum. You'll find some good folks here who know their way around a dog. I'm just an old southeast Louisiana coon hunter, but I know a few guys who hog hunt. I assume if you're from the marsh, you're probably on the western side of the state?
Larry Morgan
Morgan's Cajun Blue Gascons
LA*MaRSHHUNTeR

Postby LA*MaRSHHUNTeR » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:23 pm

Na actually I'm in southeast LA also. We have a ridiculous amount of coons around the marsh where I Hunt. . . Not sure how you'd Hunt em though cuz we don't have any trees lol. Unless you just let the dogs catch em. When you ride around at night in the boat the banks seem to be lined with em.

lmorgan
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby lmorgan » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:57 am

I used to hunt with a guy in Bayou LaBattre, AL who marsh hunted coon. They would literally run all night until either the dogs gave out or they caught the coon on the ground. They would run out of the marsh into the swamp but never tree. I'm easing into hog hunting myself, but I haven't bought any hog dogs yet. What parish are you in and what kind of dogs are you hunting?
Larry Morgan
LA*MaRSHHUNTeR

Postby LA*MaRSHHUNTeR » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:23 am

I live in EBR but Hunt marsh in st bernard, St. Tammany, and Plaquemine parishes and as far as dogs I only have a couple right now. I have a young dogo pup, a treeing walker, and get ready for a laugh . . . A beagle who thinks he's the baddest hog dog to hit the woods. He was intended to be a house pet but that sucker can find and Bay the hell out of a pig!

lmorgan
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby lmorgan » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:15 pm

I'm not laughing. I've got some beagle rabbit dogs that would probably try to tackle a bear. I doubt they'd win, though. I went to college with a bunch of boys from Folsom who used to coon hunt the Lake Ponchartrain marsh around Bayou Lacombe. I've hunted the edges of it around Madisonville and Manchac.

I've got a guy over here with the hog dogs. I just tag along. Since we're so close, we should get together and hunt sometime. He's a young guy with a nice mixed pack coming along, but he's not clannish about who he hunts with. We should take a hunt together.

I'm in Kentwood.
Larry Morgan
LA*MaRSHHUNTeR

Postby LA*MaRSHHUNTeR » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:21 pm

10 4 sounds good to me

Return to “Introduce Yourself”