new here

Tell us a little about you and your hounds.
Backcountry37

new here

Postby Backcountry37 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:22 pm

Hey everyone. I new to the cat game and hounds. I do train shorthairs and guide upland hunts in wyoming and montana and want to learn the cat game for a bunch of reasons. For one they eat the very birds which are a staple of my income! Cats are also not a species any of the guides on our ranch in Moran, WY do. Ive always loved hounds especially blue ticks but wouldnt own a dog I couldnt give a job to so I look forward to getting into this sport and getting to enjoy these dogs as well.
forgive any amateur questions while i learn
where should i start?
Nicole Stark
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: new here

Postby Nicole Stark » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:33 am

Hello and welcome.

Necessary clause. I do not own hounds so you may want to stop here.

My advice is to listen with your eyes wide open and find a good mentor.

Some like going it alone and I respect that ambition. It certainly has it's own benefits but I don't have a thousand years to learn about or figure out everything that interests me. My mentors have literally saved me decades of trial and error. My capacity for understanding things has been greatly accelerated due to their guidance and generosity of time. In return, they all have received my respect, loyalty, and friendship for life.
Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Re: new here

Postby Mike Leonard » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:30 pm

Backcountry37,

Welcome and good luck. Nicole gave you some great advice and I would also suggest that if you check around the local sporting goods stores and such you can find some cat hunters that are getting the job done in the Jackson area or maybe over in the Rexburg area. Get with them and go a few times and then with all you have on your plate guiding and bird dogs and such you may wish to purchase a finished cat dog or two to get you in business much quicker.

The bobcat game as you put it is really a school of hard knocks but if you are the type of guy who really loved frustration then training a few dogs to be successful at catching cats might be right up your alley.
MIKE LEONARD
Somewhere out there.............

Return to “Introduce Yourself”