A love for hunting, but first time coonhound "Dad"

Tell us a little about you and your hounds.
armyhunter1
Facebook ID: 0

A love for hunting, but first time coonhound "Dad"

Postby armyhunter1 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:32 pm

Hello everyone,

I have been in the Army for 17 years and currently reside in Utah. I grew up in Nebraska, where I wish my dad would of shared his raccoon hunting knowledge with me. He stopped hunting when I was young, when his Black and Tan was killed. Here I am now, in Utah, love to hunt, and just got a black and tan/walker puppy. I would love to get this puppy trained right and up in the mountains treeing mountain lions and even bears. Does anyone on here have any recommendations for training a puppy? I have researched and watched numerous youtube videos, but wanted to reach out to this great community. I was even looking for a training program in Utah if anyone knows of a place. I couldn't find anything online. This little lady's nose is always to the ground, energetic, and has no issues going off on her own. Stubborn would be an understatement, but she is progressing well with obedience. Any feedback you may offer is greatly appreciated. Heck, if someone has dogs, and goes out hunting, id be willing to pay for gas, if you would be willing to show me how its done. I'm a bow hunter (elk, mule, white tail, bear), but can't wait to be running through the mountains with my hound, listening to that glorious bawl mouth.
Attachments
Molly.jpeg
Future Big Game Huter
Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Re: A love for hunting, but first time coonhound "Dad"

Postby Mike Leonard » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:30 pm

Welcome to the site, and thank you for your service!

http://biggamehoundsmen.com/cat-dog-sce ... e-leonard/

This might help you get this gal started, and you will have some fun doing it. Nothing beat real time in the woods but this will help you get her started on her way.
She sure is a pretty thing!

OBTW I am a bow hunter too and you will have some great opportunities in Utah, but your going to miss those big cornfield/creek bottom whitetails in Nebraska. Oh well just another road trip. LOL!

Have fun!
MIKE LEONARD
Somewhere out there.............
armyhunter1
Facebook ID: 0

Postby armyhunter1 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:38 pm

Mike,
Thanks for your reply and awesome information. I’m looking forward to getting in the woods.
Pagosa
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Pagosa » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:42 pm

Armyhunter1 - That is a great looking pup, she should make a great hound. I started out like you are 3 years ago and have trained two hounds from scratch, they still need lots work and more hunting time. We ran and treed our first lion last weekend twice, so it was a major confidence booster.
I had hounds when I was younger, and it basically takes time, like several years and points of frustration to train a hound. My only advice is hunt by yourself and with just the one dog until she is treeing/tracking consistently. Spend the time on obedience training and making her a family pet. Use snow cover to your advantage to locate tracks and walk those tracks until your dog shows interests and begins to track/trail. Buy a good tracking and e-collar with a vibration mode. And lastly about 75% of houndsmen are bigtime b.s. artists. The good ones have records and solid hounds. They aren't hound jockeys or always switching/selling hounds, or talking down other dogs. I have met several guys in NW Montana that know hounds and know how to hunt. They are decades ahead of me, so use their knowledge to your advantage. Mike, David Peighy, and others on this forum are light years ahead of guys like us, and can be a great resource. Good luck and keep her in the woods, Preston

Return to “Introduce Yourself”