New to the game advice

Tell us a little about you and your hounds.
Iamjbarter
Facebook ID: 0

New to the game advice

Postby Iamjbarter » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:09 pm

Hey yall.

I was lucky enough to go out for a weeks worth of cat hunting with a friend this year and I have caught the bug.
I'm looking to spend the next 6 months to a year doing some research and learning all I can about the lifestyle before purchasing a dog. I'm also hoping to possibly get out for bears if I can find someone local that's interested in taking a newb out.
I'd greatly appreciate any advice or links to forums, books, videos or any other sources where I can learn about the tricks of the trade. I did learn a lot about the hunting aspect while out this year but I'd really like to learn a lot more about the training aspect. I'm thinking about going with a started dog first and then getting a pup after the first year.
Anyways thanks for the add and looking forward to the adventures.
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: New to the game advice

Postby Beebout-it » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:24 pm

Go hunt with any dog before you buy it if your planning on purchasing a "started " dog peoples opinion of "started " may vary a whole lot.
Henefer-hound-hunter
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Henefer-hound-hunter » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:11 pm

Buy your equipment before you get a hound, makes for a lot more fun when you get your hound. That way you’re not worrying about coming up with money for this and that, your only worry is finding time to hunt:)

Cameron
SASS
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby SASS » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:20 pm

Do your best to find someone local to you that is doing it the way you want to. They could be your first lead on where to get a dog from.

Also I would save up and get as close to a finished dog as you can afford and then you will be able to use that to train your other dogs in the future. Good luck.
VARMIT HUNTER
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby VARMIT HUNTER » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:29 pm

A lot of good advise on here, I say get some equipment first, in your area I believe there are places with few roads, I would go with at least a Garmin Alpha and tt15 collars for each dog, and maybe a Wildlife as well due to battery life etc. either find some one who has good dogs to hunt with and get no more than 2-4 pups. I prefer training my own from start to finish mostly by themselves. And if you buy a old dog get it from someone who is reputable and buy the dog under the tree or with one bayed /caught on the ground. JMHO

Return to “Introduce Yourself”