Hello from Boise, ID in America!

Tell us a little about you and your hounds.
JonBailey64
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Hello from Boise, ID in America!

Postby JonBailey64 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:42 pm

:oops: I am very disheartened by the hunting hound scene in America today.

American Foxhounds are almost virtually extinct. At least my Google search would have me believe that. Finding a pup anywhere in the Lower 48 will be something of the Holy Grail. Walker pups also seem hard to find. Bloodhounds are unattractive. Black and tan coonhounds aren't that pretty. I don't especially like beagles or dachshunds. And Basset hounds are flat-out lazy and homely.

I like the looks of the tall and leggy American Foxhounds and the Treeing Walkers but where in the devil does one find a pup of such breeds anywhere in America? Google searches have not revealed much. They must be a top secret.

Nobody seems to want hounds anymore. Not many people are dedicated to breeding them it seems.

I feel that I would most likely have to travel to the former Confederate States from Idaho out West to find either a foxhound or a Walker puppy. Getting AKC-registerable pups will even be more of an uphill battle. Tricolor is my favorite hound color by the way.

Why do hunting hounds seem so exclusive and rare like a Rolls-Royce, Hope Diamond or a Rolex?

Why are they so seemingly hated and unpopular in America today? Foxhounds and Walkers certainly aren't breeds for the masses unlike Labs, Golden Retrievers, German Shepherds and Poodles.

After all, America's Founding Father, George Washington, had 36 American Foxhounds, a breed he invented.

The American Foxhound should be Our National Dog.

There just aren't a ton of breeders that pop up when I Google 'American foxhound' or 'treeing Walker'.

I love those Walker and American Foxhounds. What can I do to help promote the popularity of the hunting hound in America again and stop these breeds from possibly becoming extinct?

Another thing, it's a shame that hounding black bear in California is no more for five years plus now...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BCVzr_xJYM

...and that only deer hunters in the American South can still enjoy the song of unleashed hounds in the forest on those famous deer pushes down below the Mason-Dixon Line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_mqB6lJcMY&t=377s

Fortunately in my home state of Idaho, game regs still allow a deer hunter to possess a leashed hound for blood-trailing but conscientious hunters never want to wound deer in the first place and we can still free-cast dogs on bear, lion, fox, coons, coyotes and bunnies here.

I have written this poem lamenting the plight of the great American hound tradition in hopes that hound popularity will someday pick up again before the Cry in the Woods is forever gone everywhere:

The American Hound Poem

Let 'em run, let 'em bay, let the FREE hounds bay,
From the South to the North, 'tis the American way!

Let em track, let em trail, let the HOUNDS prevail,
From the East to the West, dogs on deer is the best!

Let em hunt, let em tree, let the HOUNDS roam free,
From the coons to the moose, let the dogs run loose!
kickemall
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Re: Hello from Boise, ID in America!

Postby kickemall » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:05 pm

"Why do hunting hounds seem so exclusive and rare like a Rolls-Royce, Hope Diamond or a Rolex? "

There are countless hunting hounds within the area that you are living in and many, many more in Idaho as well as other states.

"Another thing, it's a shame that hounding black bear in California is no more for five years plus now...

...and that only deer hunters in the American South can still enjoy the song of unleashed hounds in the forest on those famous deer pushes down below the Mason-Dixon Line. "

You can apply losing hounding bear to Or. and Wa. as well who lost that long before Ca. Yet Ca. still allows deer hunting with one dog per hunter so if you have four or five hunters you have a pretty good pack. Although I'm fairly amazed that we are able to still run hounds at all in Ca. for now.
I get what your saying but hound hunting in America is on the decline for many reasons but not to the extent that you make it seem.
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:08 pm

Jon, there in Boise you are completely surrounded by very dedicated Houndsmen. And you are living in one of the best hound hunting states in the USA. People like me have hauled hounds across many states just to be able to hunt a few miles from where you live.
There are a lot of treeing walkers in your state (and surrounding states) that are UKC registered. To a hunter AKC is a joke, and not a very funny joke at that. It has been the ruin of many hunting and working breeds. It is a darn shame.

Check with UKC and the various breed boards they have on line. You should be able to find some breeders very near you. Stick with UKC for registered treeing walkers. Check out the Chase and Hunters Horn (and Perk on here) to gain more knowledge about registered tri colored fox hounds. But my advice is to find out what Idaho and the mountain state hunters are happy with and try to get some of it. They have been working out the bugs for a hundred years.

Good poem!
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:26 pm

Here is an excellent example of registered treeing walkers bred up in the mountain state way:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=47879

There are several treeing walker breeders on this board, hopefully you can connect with them.
Irish Jack
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Irish Jack » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:17 am

I find it unusual that you are unable to locate a walker hound but have knowledge of anti hunting legislation in California.

Jack
Irish Jack
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Irish Jack » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:28 am

" I am very disheartened "

" Black and tan coonhounds aren't that pretty"

They must be a top secret

exclusive and rare like a Rolls-Royce, Hope Diamond

Nobody seems to want hounds anymore

it's a shame that hounding black bear in California is no more for five years plus now.

I have written this poem lamenting the plight of the great American hound tradition

These statements force me to ask two things 1. Are you (JON) a male?
2.Are you an ANTI-hunter here snooping?

JACK
JonBailey64
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby JonBailey64 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:19 am

JonBailey64
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby JonBailey64 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:14 am

jmhallenbeck

Postby jmhallenbeck » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:17 pm

Jon,

I too grew up in a family who wasn’t at all involved in hunting, not against it but just not an activity anyone I knew participated in, so I can understand the struggle of trying to learn on your own. You can do it, it just takes more time I suppose but along the way you will meet plenty of folks excited and willing to help someone new.

My advice to you would be to take sometime to explore this forum and site, read the articles and posts, there’s plenty of folks breeding good dogs and doing all the things you claim to be going by the wayside.

In my personal experience I’ve found that shutting my mouth and listening to what more experienced folks have to say or watching what they do is the quickest way to get to where you want to be.

Good luck and congrats on getting out of California, ha
Justin Hallenbeck
Conifer, Colorado
TrevorC

Postby TrevorC » Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:59 pm

Jon ,
There are many houndsman here in idaho and quite a few within less than an hr of boise . Why would you need an outfitter to hunt black bear ? Their everywhere here . I’ve met a few houndsman out here in SW idaho but not many have i met live in Boise . Very liberal town as i’m sure you’re aware of . Those type of people tend to frown upon hunters and even feel worse about people who run dogs on cats and bears . I’m sure if you dig deep enough you will find some . Hell keep your eyes peeled for dog boxes in pick ups that’s what i do lol

Return to “Introduce Yourself”