Getting started in Oregon

Tell us a little about you and your hounds.
Bram

Getting started in Oregon

Postby Bram » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:07 am

Evening all.
I suppose I’ll say a bit about myself first.
Originally from South Africa where we had a game farm and used Black and Tan and blue tick hounds that were used on leopard and the occasionally bush pig. In the mid 90’s I moved to Europe and was a hunt servant with a few hunts in Ireland and England, here and there. Not as much as I wanted too, as it’s not exactly a good paying job. Fast forward a bit and I’ve been here in Oregon a couple of years and finally looking to get started with some hounds.
As with hunting anywhere it seems to be a “who you know” in regards to finding good hounds and getting a lay of the land.

I’m looking for a couple of walker pups to get started for next season and having a hell of a time trying to find someone local to the State (not that I have an issue driving anywhere within two days for a pup). I’ve tried google and emailed a few people and only one replied, but he’s got a waiting list.
The classified section here has the whiff of a minefield about it, not helped by the fact that I don’t know anyone here to help with recommendations, but it is the best resource that I’ve come across.
After that I’ll have all the fun learning about bobcats and getting stuck into bringing some dogs on for their and my first season on them.

If anyone could point me in the right direction in regards to who produces good hounds and who’s brain I could pick about getting started on bobcats, it would be greatly appreciated.
catdog360
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: Getting started in Oregon

Postby catdog360 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:04 pm

April 20 Canby Rod and Gun Club. Oregon United Sporting Dog Asso. Will have it's annual convention. You will be able to meet and pick brains of the best hunters in Oregon.

Mic O'Brien
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:37 pm

Click on “search” above. Enter key word “Oregon”. You will get 300 pages of posts having some thing to do with Oregon. You will be able to figure out a lot about hunting and hunters in Oregon from that.

You came to a good source of information.

You can click on the hunters name on their post and try sending messages to some of the hunters. You might want to ask them for suggestions on where to get a pup or dog suitable for Oregon.

There are lots of coon in certain places in Oregon, so that is another option for you. It is easier to find a dog that will tree you some coon.
Bram

Postby Bram » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:33 pm

Thanks for the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Introduce Yourself”