Another new member from CA

Tell us a little about you and your hounds.
Sureshotshane
Facebook ID: 0

Another new member from CA

Postby Sureshotshane » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:48 pm

Howdy all,

I’m new to hounds. I’ve been threatening to get hounds or curs for a while now but was waiting until I moved away from this state because my real interest is in bear and cats.

When we used to be able to run bears with dogs it was a great atmosphere. I never personally had any hounds but you couldn’t shake a stick without hitting a bear dog man. Opener of deer season wasn’t just deer, it was the music of hounds as well. At that time I wasn’t in the position to get a pack of dogs.

Quickly we started losing all of our rights and I’ve been trying to leave for so long but my wife was in graduate school, my boy was born, life went by. I see some light at the end of the tunnel, my wife is nearly done with school - I’m realistically looking at being somewhere new in 1 year.

I could have had better foresight though, I have so much to learn about tree dogs and so now I’ve been thinking it’s time to get into it, running what we can run in California, with trips out of state too. By the time I move maybe I’ll have some better knowledge to get the job done on some bigger game.

I do quite a bit of predator calling already. We have a ton of gray fox, coon, and coyote. I could see myself running some fox and coon for practice.

My father and grandfather ran beagles and the occasional walker for deer. Story has it that my grandfather sold a beagle to Charles Schulz long ago. I’ve always had affinity toward that color dog because of their stories. But looks don’t matter much if it hunts. I would like to get a walker. I’m already on the waitlist for a Mountain Cur pup, from some fellow in Wyoming. Looking at mixing things up, seeing what I like. Also I’d like to find a Patterdale or Jagdterrier for blood tracking and killing vermin (gophers, rats), whatever else - I manage a ranch and have quite the rodent problem.

Dog men are harder to come by than they used too. I’d like to get out with folks but everyone I knew that ran bears sold everything off and stopped running anything altogether. I see there are some other people from California out there and just want to thank ya’ll for keeping the sport alive.
gameganster530
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Re: Another new member from CA

Postby gameganster530 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:48 am

Welcome to the site... where at in Ca are ya there still a lot of guys running dogs just gotta know where to look lol
MightyOaks

Postby MightyOaks » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:24 pm

Welcome. My wife has a half Patterdale/half Jagd UBT certified blood tracker. We have a pair of littermates; one likes it the other isn't real interested in it because there isn't anything to kill at the end. We use the one for blood tracking for the public only and the other trees squirrel and coon. There is a Jagd breeder in south Missouri if you're interested on getting on the puppy list let me know.
Sureshotshane

Postby Sureshotshane » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:43 pm

I’m in the Central Sierra Foothills. Southeast of Sacramento about an hour.

I’m starting to realize there is still a small stronghold of houndsmen in CA.

There’s got to be a decent breeder closer than Missouri. Not that distance is a huge concern because we have airplanes but I don’t want to pass by good breeders to get to one more distant. I’ll keep it in mind though. Do they have a website or some other place to view their dogs?
MightyOaks

Postby MightyOaks » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:57 pm

They used to have a website, but I can’t find it. Must just be on Facebook. Jones Knitehunt kennel. Our jagds haven’t came from them directly, but have some of there blood. They aren’t many Patterdales or Jagds in our area that I know of.
kickemall
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby kickemall » Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:00 pm

You have a lot of guys nearby that have some really good fox dogs. If your on Facebook ask to join Fox and Cat Broke dog hunting. If you ask there you will probably find several guys close by and often have pups. Be careful about getting hung up on a certain breed because it will limit you from getting some very good dogs. Good luck!
Henefer-hound-hunter
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Henefer-hound-hunter » Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:30 am

Ron Frank from northern Utah breeds hunting bred paterdales and jagds. They are the real deal he runs them with his hounds on bears, lions, and bobcats, and also uses them on varmits. These dogs have no reverse I have seen them in action. He calls them fur missiles and that is exactly what they are. He has a few litters every year. If you’re interested you can look him up on Facebook or you can PM me and I can round you up his phone number.
Nufo
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Nufo » Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:26 am

Hello I am from Ca also. North of you near Grass Valley. Certainly still a lot of people in Ca who run Fox and Coons. I have a cur and a patterdale terrier. I started off with patterdales about 13 years ago and got back going this year with a Cur pup and now another terrier. I would recommend you go check out a field trial this coming fall/winter. You'll be able to hook up with lots of people who run fox and coons. Check out the North central houndsmen on facebook
Redwood Coonhounds
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth
Facebook ID: 100000073410597

Postby Redwood Coonhounds » Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:14 pm

There are still quite a few of us left. Even in the same area as you. Most people are just on Facebook now, these forums aren't what they used to be. I'm North of Sacramento also but am moving to Nevada soon, but go over the boarder to hunt often. I hunt Walker and Curs on coon and big game.
Cassandra Davis
Redwood's Treeing Walker Coonhounds
& Louisiana Catahoula Leopard Dogs
http://www.RedwoodCoonhounds.net/
https://www.facebook.com/RedwoodKennelsHounds
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:55 am

Hey Cassandra, where in Nv are you looking at?
Redwood Coonhounds
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth
Facebook ID: 100000073410597

Postby Redwood Coonhounds » Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:31 pm

Near Reno
Cassandra Davis
Redwood's Treeing Walker Coonhounds
& Louisiana Catahoula Leopard Dogs
http://www.RedwoodCoonhounds.net/
https://www.facebook.com/RedwoodKennelsHounds
Sureshotshane

Postby Sureshotshane » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:35 pm

Thanks everyone for the reply’s. I was hunting elk the last week and a half, hence the late response.

I’ll definitely be checking the Facebook sites out. I don’t go on Facebook much, almost deleted it a time or two but it comes in handy for looking at dogs.

I’d love to go to some field trials and such. Still real happy to hear that there is more of you out there than I previously thought.

Cassandra - good for you getting out of California.

Return to “Introduce Yourselfâ€