Hello from North Dakota

Tell us a little about you and your hounds.
Newhounder32
Facebook ID: 100082631323905

Hello from North Dakota

Postby Newhounder32 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:05 pm

I am from central ND, Minot area, and am new to hound hunting and hounds in general. I have hunted all my life and currently have a lab for upland hunting. I have enjoyed reading the posts on this site trying to learn as much as I can. My lab is getting a little older and am trying to decide between getting another bird dog so it can train/hunt with my current one or try switching gears to hounds. Anyone on here hunt ND badlands for lion or bobcats? Appreciate any pointers or advice for getting started.
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Hello from North Dakota

Postby Beebout-it » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:26 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum!! If you decide to switch to hounds I strongly advise you do your homework and start with a well bred pup, it will make things a touch easier. Just like with bird dogs the key to success is putting game in front of them consistently. The more exposure and opportunity the faster they will learn and have the chance to get better and better. You get out of a dog exactly what you put in, of course there are some that just absolutely have it no matter what you do but they are few and far between. Let us know what u decide to do and I look forward to you sharing your adventures along the way!
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:48 pm

I’m still building a new pack of lion hounds. So from my experience, if you decide to go the hound route then save up your money. Buy a good finished dog and one puppy of the best bobcat bred blood lines for whichever breed you choose to go with. This is the easiest way to get started.
Newhounder32
Facebook ID: 100082631323905

Postby Newhounder32 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:57 pm

Thank you both for the advice. I was leaning toward that route of buying a finished dog first to help train a pup with. Especially since I don’t have experience training them. Hoping to find someone this fall/winter hunting in the badlands that will let a newbie tag along to learn and maybe see what breed/lines are having success in ND.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”