Small Game Sets

A Place to discuss Trapping
Moonshiner
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Small Game Sets

Postby Moonshiner » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:09 pm

I feel stupid asking this but... Whats the best way to catch some rabbits, like a cottontail? I got a new pup and wanna get him running them first before I work up to the bigger critters, also there aint a coon within 500 acres of my farm.
I have 4 live catch traps, 2 small (rabbit size) and 2 large (skunk, oppossum size), any tips on bait or other trap types would be appreciated. Oh and this isnt my full-time job so make sure its explained "stupid-simple" lol!
Thanks
3yo Bluetick "JD"
2yo Bulldog "Diesel"
1yo Redbone "JW"

USMC Kill 'Em All
Arkansas Frog
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: Small Game Sets

Postby Arkansas Frog » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:39 am

I caught a rabbit 3 times in my back yard one evening,in a small squirrel trap, I was baiting it with salted sun flower seeds. I guess he was going after the salt ,look out the window and there he was, get him out spank his butt turn him loose set trap 1 hour later back in,he was so big the his sides were sticking out the wire mesh.but he loved them salted seeds, on a farm when I was a boy I caught a lot ,I used rotten apples and apple peelings.some thing with a smell, caught 3 or 4 a night.but had 20 traps set.
Frog
livetohunt
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: Small Game Sets

Postby livetohunt » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:29 am

Never tryed the Sun Flower seeds like that idea. I have used apple thats been cut up, turnips thats been cut or pealed, even potatoes or carrots. I like to peal them or cut them up to let the sent out.

Return to “Trapping”