Coon trapping with live traps

A Place to discuss Trapping
perky
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Coon trapping with live traps

Postby perky » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:27 pm

hey i have 83 acres and have swamps, timber, 2 creeks running through it. so ideal coon habitat. it is a highway o coon tracks on the banks on my creek. so i've been tryin to catch em ssooooo freakin long fer my started hound, its not even funny. they'll just walk in the trap take the bait and leave. er the tracks will go to it and they'll turn around. but they will go in most o the time. any tips would be great.
thanks!
Machias
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: Coon trapping with live traps

Postby Machias » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:22 pm

What bait are you using? Take a clothes hanger or other piece of wire and hang a 3 or 4 inch section off the top of the cage and slide two or three big marshmellows on the wire so they are hangin just above the back of the pan. Also I wouldn't put on an open forum for all to read that you are going to use a coon for training purposes, you will get slammed in this state with a misdemeanor. Also if you got that many coons running around you'd be way better off building yourself a feeder and running your pup off the feeder. Better for the pup and better for your wallet. :)
Fred Moyer
perky
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby perky » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:13 pm

alright i'll give the wire thing a try, how ya think i should i do the feeders? like bait, how to make it and whatnot.
David_Heimann
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby David_Heimann » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:20 pm

Last edited by David_Heimann on Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Machias
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Machias » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:30 pm

You can make some real easy/cheap feeders out of PVC pipe. Do a search on google and you can see some real easy ones to make. They are much better for your pups anyways, you don't want to show more than a critter or two in a cage anyways, if at all. Just remember to take them down once the bears come out or they will get tore up.
Fred Moyer
bobbercrazy23
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby bobbercrazy23 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:59 pm

cover your trap pan and the bars that connect the pan to the door with honey or syrup theyll start to play with the bars or the pan and catch themselves. I dont even put any bait in the back and thats how i always catch em
If it has fur I chase it.
hamilton10
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby hamilton10 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:32 pm

Put the bait in a shallow hole in the ground under the pan. Stake the trap down at all four corners with re-bar so the coon can't move the trap off the bait. You will catch every coon that goes in it.
Dale T
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Dale T » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:38 am

Wire the door open and fill it with feed for a week or two, they will keep coming and will get comfortable, after two weeks you can catch them 2 at a time.

Return to “Trapping”