Coyotes in snow?

A Place to discuss Trapping
Beimel
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Coyotes in snow?

Postby Beimel » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:11 pm

Whenever coyotes come to my tracks in the snow, they turn away. When the snow gets deep, they travel down roads here more than usual. I was thinking about making piss posts along the back roads they travel on so I don't have to make tracks. Anyone do this?
dchartt
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Coyotes in snow?

Postby dchartt » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:58 am

after you make your set are you following on through with your tracks? try to keep your tracks going past your set never make the set and turn around and go back where you came from especially helpful when running snares
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:39 am

There have been many coyotes caught along remote roads. A few of them, by me. The problem is keeping them hidden once caught. I think I have had as many stolen, trap and all, as not. And I believe it was by deer or elk hunters in most cases. You also have to consider bird dog hunters and hound hunters might be using the same road. If you are behind locked gate, you could stake solid, otherwise, I would not do it except with a drag, and in a place I know the coyote will get away from the road and from the set and hidden in brush. If you can make tire tracks down a faint road that no one else has used, you may improve your chances of avoiding theft on your "road set".

Another way to hide your catch is with a one way slide wire like a drowning cable used for beaver. But you would need to set them up ahead of season, and let age and snow cover them up.
Unreal_tk
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Unreal_tk » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:20 pm

Look up the hay set.
coyote hunting dogs
Facebook ID: 0

Postby coyote hunting dogs » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:00 am

Make a set on the road and use a big drag so the coyote will get caught in thickets and will also be hidden

Return to “Trapping”