big cat trapped

A Place to discuss Trapping
got plott
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

big cat trapped

Postby got plott » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:05 am

so I just bumped into a trapper in town an he had a dead lion in a trap when he checked his traps this morning. I looked this cat over real good for a bullet hole or marks around neck to see if it was chocked out an nothing.why would a 4 to 5 year old female.to top it off.be dead? you have to run your traps every 72 hours here an its been warm 20 an above.she was not starved looking by no means. what a shame!
jcutler
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: big cat trapped

Postby jcutler » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:29 pm

I've heard of a guy snaring a couple on purpose I'd like to kick his a**
250plot
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby 250plot » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:05 pm

did he get to keep the lion? i thought fng would take it away? or did he even get it checked in? i call bs dont see how a lion would die that fast. i could be wrong just dont see it. i dont think he was checking traps.
got plott
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby got plott » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:18 pm

talked to the trapper this morning again at the gas station.no he did not keep the cat f&g took it. fish an game said it probley died of hypothermeia. it was in a number 3 coil trap he said.
LIGHTNING RIDGE
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby LIGHTNING RIDGE » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:27 pm

Lions when they are stressed will produce a lactic acid that can kill them, a lot of lions that are jumped out of trees multiple times often run off and die unknowingly to the hunter. Same with being in a trap, if the female fought the trap really hard and stressed her self out that is likely what caused her fate.
LIGHTNING RIDGE KENNELS
Walker breeding at it's best
used to catch Big Game
pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby pegleg » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:36 am

Well lions don't handle being caught very well. I've never trapped one but if you accidently get a rope on one you better make it two real quickly. Not something I recommend. And I don't have a problem believing some die from stress. I bet some of the guys who have been around longer might have more insight into it. animals nervous systems vary quit a lot, lions being one of the most sensitive I know of.I've read older stories of them catching them alive, and know of some not so long ago that were caught and released. I think the success rate probably wasn't 100% though.
JTG
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby JTG » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:59 am

If you rope one, it's best to catch one leg and the neck. Cat's have a hard time with lots of stress.

Return to “Trapping”