Open Mouth

trapline dog question

Postby nmplott » Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:09 am

www.arrowbarkennels.com
Home of Plott hounds and American Bulldogs
lacydog
Facebook ID: 0

Postby lacydog » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:31 pm

alot of the time we run drags on a trap. It allows the animal to run with the trap so that it does not set there and fight with the trap and get loose. You use the dogs to find the trap that has been drug off. Depending on how you you like your dogs trained your dogs can also swiftly kill with little pelt damage. Also you can use your dogs as an aid in find where to set your traps. If I have a dog that marks a spot it is a good place to set a coyote trap because a yote has ether done the same or will likely do the same. Hope this helps
nmplott
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby nmplott » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:58 pm

thank you. I was thinking about doing this with one of my plott males. He likes to ride in the durango with me and has a lot of hunt in him.
www.arrowbarkennels.com
Home of Plott hounds and American Bulldogs
coondogger80
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby coondogger80 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:16 am

Cliff Ruppert

careful what you say bout a coonhunters wife, but you be darn careful what you say bout a coonhunters dog!
bearhntwi
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 623273062

Re: trapline dog question

Postby bearhntwi » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:23 pm

Airdales work well as trapline dogs,as do most of the cur breeds.
FullCryHounds
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby FullCryHounds » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:58 am

25 years ago, I used my Springer on my trapline. I never used to anchor my traps, just used drags so occasionally, we'd have one drug off and would use the dog to help find it. She was great in the thick cover finding foxes and bobcats.
Dean Hendrickson
Pine, CO.
Rocky Mountain Wildlife Studios
rmwildlifestudios.com
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:58 pm

I dont know about using a full hound. Maybe your Plott is more cur like, as some of them are. But if you do use him, he's gonna have to be able to give up a track of his favorite animal on command.

I knew a government trapper in Oregon who used a blue heeler. Would not trap without him. He used a lot of "gitters" and also needed the dog to find the poisoned coyote. Some states it is illegal to have a dog with on a trapliine. fyi
Lil Joes BigGame hounds
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Lil Joes BigGame hounds » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:24 pm

I use my young hounds when trapping. It really helps them get gamey! The first time I take a dog into a set I willshow them the cat (I only take them in on cats not coyotes), and let them work the cat and bay for a little bit. Then I dispatch the cat and let the dogs wool him a little.
After that I start the circling down wind of the set till the dog winds the cat and comes in on his own or opens on the leash then I will let him go find the cat. With in a couple days of this the dogs are real cat minded. I just do this to get these dogs comfortable with shooting, aggresive cats, handling, and being in the truck in rough country.

And even though I dont rig dogs Im sure it would be a great start for young rig dogs!
Joe Troyer Socorro, N.M.
575-707-3727

Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people.

--H. G. Rickove
frs123
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby frs123 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:52 pm

damn thats a hell of a good way to show young dogs the game ya want them on. never thought of using my trapline as a training aid. now if it were legal to trap a bear or two. lol havent ran a trapline for a few years but am gonna try and set some this year and will have a couple young dogs that will be more than happy to go with me. good luck and keep it fun
coal burning stove, no natural gas if that aint country ill kiss yer a$$
god is good beer is great and people are crazy
RP Dabling
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby RP Dabling » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:42 pm

i had a little jack russell for a few years he was the best dang trap line dog I ever had. He would go to ground and track real well.
hillbilly boy
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby hillbilly boy » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:36 pm

Anyone ever use dogs to track game to their dens the ones that I have heard of are skunk beaver and mink also has anyone ever heard of a blood hound be used
JTG
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby JTG » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:08 pm

JC has some very good information on using dogs for trapping. His blind set DVD, shows you how to use a dog to find paths of travel as well as other things. He invented the Jake Trap and its a real good trap, if not the best coyote trap. http://www.jcconner.com/books.html
Everything he sells is well worth the money and he is a very good honest man.
hillbilly boy
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby hillbilly boy » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:24 am

Ok do the know the name of the DVD or is it just called blind set also does it cover finding a den
JTG
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby JTG » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:23 am

Click on this link; http://www.jcconner.com/books.html. Scroll down to this video;Predator Trapping Blind Sets With J. C. Conner.
It does not cover finding dens.
hillbilly boy
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby hillbilly boy » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:51 am

Ok that covers the biggest part of the stuff I read about know trying to find anything about using them for finding den's the most common one I have found is finding beaver den's and mink and skunks den's

Return to “Trapping”