Market for beaver tails????

A Place to discuss Trapping
hillbilly boy
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Market for beaver tails????

Postby hillbilly boy » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:03 am

I was wondering if anyone knows of any buyers that deal with beaver furs and the tails to I was thinking that a lot of people use the leather for crafts that maybe there was
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Re: Market for beaver tails????

Postby david » Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:21 pm

There are dozens of fur buyers that will buy beaver pelts caught between about November and April. And castors can be sold as well. But I have never heard of anyone buying the tails, except that people who raise meat eating animals like mink, fox, or hounds sometimes buy the carcasses. I know that hounds fed on beaver will look about as good as I have ever seen them, and Carnivores love the meat including the tails. No better bobcat bait that I know of.

Here is a link to a few Kentucky fur buyers for you to click on.

http://app.fw.ky.gov/furbuyer/
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:35 pm

The first time I sold furs, I shipped them to F.C. Taylor in Louisville, Ky about 1968. I don't know if they are still around. I bought my Blake and Lamb traps from them also.
FullCryHounds
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby FullCryHounds » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:35 pm

Here in CO., the trappers association has a huge booth each year at the National Western Stock Show. All of the items that we sell are made by members. One of the things we sell are tanned beaver tails and one of the members makes all kinds of things from them. It is an outstanding leather to work with. I have a wallet he made out of beaver tail leather. Of course we don't buy beaver tails since we are all trappers but if you can make items from the leather then you can sell those items.

Dean Hendrickson
Pine, CO.
Rocky Mountain Wildlife Studios
rmwildlifestudios.com
hillbilly boy
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby hillbilly boy » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:34 pm

Do you know how they tanned them and do you know any books were a man could learn some craft ideas for them
mark
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby mark » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:40 am

A knife maker buddy of mine uses beaver tail leather to dress up his sheathes.
Attachments
image.jpg
Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Mike Leonard » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:37 pm

If you look on line you will see many western saddle makers making bucking rolls for slick fork saddles out of beaver tail. they are super sharp looking. also many old timers in the south use to put beaver tail treads in their saddle stirrups cuz mud won't stick to it.
MIKE LEONARD
Somewhere out there.............
CRA
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby CRA » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:19 pm

In the past I have used beaver tail oil as a ingredient in my Coyote lure. Cut up the beaver tail in about 2 inch cubes and allow it to rot down for a couple months in the sun. Just make sure you use a bucket or jar that the gasses can escape and the flies can't get in. The black oil that rises to the top is the oil you use as a lure ingredient. It's a fairly loud smell that predators seem to really be attracted too.

I know when I lived in Arkansas certain counties paid bounties on beavers and you needed the tail of the beaver to collect your money.
hillbilly boy
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby hillbilly boy » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:48 pm

Does anyone know of any books or things were I can get some ideas for crafts for beaver tail
BAR BAR 2
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby BAR BAR 2 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:26 pm

I have been looking for a neat little tobacco pouch for my pipe tobacco. One made of beaver tail would be cool. It would really look neat with some bead work on one side. If I could find the leather made of beaver tail, I'd probably make it myself.

Tex
=2

Return to “Trapping”