Wolves killed by hunters using dogs.

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
rzhounds
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Re: Wolves killed by hunters using dogs.

Postby rzhounds » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:03 pm

Looking good in the pic Clyde! Two nice wolves, get em all boys.
minneguy
Facebook ID: 0

Wolves killed by hunters using dogs.

Postby minneguy » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:56 am

I love Wisconsin. God bless all the good men who hunted down these dang wolves! You rock!

Sent from my iPhone using
Houndswoman
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Houndswoman » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:11 am

You boys might be interested in the chapter called American Wolf Hounds in Fred Streever's book, The American Trail Hound published in 1948.

In it he discusses using fox hounds to run and kill wolves in New York in the mid 1930's. So it has been done before. There is a picture of one killed ahead of hounds in Saratoga County NY in 1936.

Good job Wisconsin.
broke1-2

Postby broke1-2 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:44 pm

You can run wolves with hounds in wyoming in the predator areas like where I live they are the same as coyotes and jackrabbits they can be killed any time by any means no tag required. If anyone is interested in coming out and running some wolves I know where there at not 20 min from my house. I am a professional lion guide and know the country well and would love to get in on a wolf hound hunt. So if anyone wants to take a field trip out this way give me a shout. 307-349-1192
leifalweapon
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby leifalweapon » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:22 pm

not color blind
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby not color blind » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:00 pm

https://www.wispolitics.com/2020/u-s-re ... ered-list/

Hopefully they can sneak a season in yet this winter..
not color blind
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby not color blind » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:44 pm

So the 7 day Wisconsin season was open for 39 hours and there's 82 registered so far(season is now closed,tomorrow). The houndsmen/women put a hurting on them!
https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/o ... 554935001/
Last edited by not color blind on Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:59 am

Hell yeah!! Congratulations and keep up the good work!!
not color blind
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby not color blind » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:58 pm

Might go a tad over the quota by the time they're all registered. :beer

https://dnr.wisconsin.gov/topic/hunt/wolf/index.html
Rickylane06
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Rickylane06 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:29 pm

Wow. Yall's Wolf situation out there sounds terrifying. I couldn't imagine finding my dogs torn to shreds by a pack of 150lb Wolves. Nor would i be interested in pursuing them with hounds whether i like the dogs or not. Sure there are people out there doing it and having some success at it, but I'm sure there are just as many bad endings too.
Rickylane06
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Rickylane06 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:32 pm

https://youtu.be/ww1Dv3j_VKY

Watch this video and if you pay attention you can see how long this wolf hangs on and how very tuff them bastards are.
not color blind
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby not color blind » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:48 pm

"but I'm sure there are just as many bad endings too."

You're wrong. It may not seem right to you (and many others) but when the tables are turned, you. are. wrong.
GVBEAR
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby GVBEAR » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:37 am

Rickylane06, Wisconsin has had a issues with wolves for years and most who run dogs in this state have first hand experience with what they can do to a dog/dogs or know people that have had it happen too. I think you have to realize when the people are running them they are not putting dogs onto a pack of wolves but running singles or doubles. So as not color blind said you are turning the tables on the predator. From my experience its not just one wolf that kills the hounds it is a pack attacks. The data they used to determine the quota is i believe from 2014 or around there so it is way outdated and I don't think anyone believes their count on the total population is accurate. It is a problem here and has changed how people run their dogs, but I can say having the gps has also improved keeping them safe. I don't quote me on this but in the 2.5 to 3 days they were open for running I have not heard of a single dog get killed during the hunt. I am curious on the weights of the wolves that were harvested, my friends that were able to get a few topped weighed 70 pounds and they did not look small either in the pictures do not have a first hand experience.
Rickylane06
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Rickylane06 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:19 pm

Well i humbly stand corrected fellas. I have no experience hunting wolves nor are there any around me for a long way. Like i mentioned, finding my dogs tore up from a pack of wolves would be a absolute nightmare come true. And i hope your State government will allow yall to even the numbers. Im not defending them Wolves by no means. I'd want every last one of them dead if they were in my state. Ive heard Wolves are cowards when the table is turned. I just don't understand how to single them out or how to determine were the pack may be or if its a lone dog simply cause i just don't know from lack of experience. I just assumed that there would be casualties.
GVBEAR
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby GVBEAR » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:52 pm

It definitely is a nightmare to come upon, but unfortunately with the DNR and government is a thing we deal with in wisconsin and any state that has wolves. It has changed the ways people hunt in certain areas or even if people hunt certain areas. But with tracking and finding a lone one or pair. When they have a season the people who run with dogs only run with snow, and lucky this year we had fresh snow the night it opened or by where I live in wisconsin it did. So with fresh snow easy tracking. I have been told though it is a pretty fun race.

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogs”