Let’s talk.

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Let’s talk.

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:09 am

Ha ha ha sounds like your mechanic treats his frequent flier really good! I only drive Fords so I don’t know any better…. But for the amount of abuse I have put this little truck through this winter, I really don’t have much yo complain about. Most everything is my fault for being too rough or neglect lol.
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:14 pm

Due to the shit weather, I decided to do some training. I used Mike Leonard’s technique but I didn’t run the scent trail backwards. I let it set for 2 hours before I put the dogs on it. My males did better than the females but I expected that, they’ve been hunted more. Sam did the best but he’s a finished snow dog. I’m surprised he actually trailed bare ground. He doesn’t usually show much interest in bare ground tracks. But I put Lester out with him and Lester followed along. Then I put the rest out and they only did okay. Probably should have road’d them all before I put them on the ground. I’ll do that next time and I’ll try to put each one on the track alone.
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:17 pm

We have a supposed big storm due to hit tomorrow afternoon but we shall see. Last 2 snows melted off the same day it fell. Even a 2 hour old drag has a ton of sent. I have dogs that won't trail a hot drag 100yards then road them by it a month later and they run it like its a smoker. I can't remember the last time I did drags just for trainings sake they usually only hit a drag when we go socialize at a field trial but been thinking I should start doing some with the younger ones from time to time.
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:34 pm

I’m pretty over the snow. I can’t get around much and I’m tired of getting stuck. I’m trying to get these dogs to trail bare ground so I can keep hunting. I was kinda surprised at how the dogs acted. I laid the trail so it went up a set of bluffs then went along the top for 1/4 mile and dropped off back down to the road. My intent was to be able to get them to work it but I also wanted to be able to watch. The dogs I thought would do good didn’t and the ones I thought wouldn’t do good, finished the trail lol.
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:56 pm

Definitely ready for dry ground and bears, i hate this muddy slop then frozen hard till mid day. Let's just get with it already. But last winter we got more snow in April than all winter combined and if that occurs again we are in for a lot more wet heavy snow!
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:26 am

I hope for our dog’s sakes that we just have a regular spring lol. I don’t remember how much snow we got here but I’m definitely over the frozen mornings sloppy muddy days.
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:37 pm

https://youtube.com/shorts/vcLZvfgTmpM? ... IECMiOmarE storm got here later than expected completely missed my house, got between 1-6 inches depending where I was. Just east of us they are between 13-20 inches and still going
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:20 pm

How’s everyone’s huntin been? I haven’t hunted but one day in the last 3 weeks if I remember right. That’s when I broke the hub and filled the front differential with sand and water. Last week I pulled the front end apart and cleaned it up. This week I hope to put it back together then do an alignment. Might tinker with the snow mobile and max if I have extra time. Gotta start working on my dog kennels too. The dogs are finding new ways to get out of their kennels and are pissing the wife off.
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:33 am

Hunting is tough, we got pounded with that storm but getting around is tough even where I have trails packed in its rotting so the sled is having a tough time staying in top. Got so damn stuck Monday took me an hour to get out and the snow was chest deep. Don't think the cats are enjoying the conditions either and not traveling much but thats just my opinion. My buddies to the east of us got 42 inches of snow in the valley. Definitely ready for some bear hunting instead of trudging through the wet deep snow.
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:16 am

Sounds like you’ve got it worse than I do here, because you have more snow. Here it’s melted off on the south slopes down low but it’s deeper than hell on the north slopes.
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:44 pm

Just getting hammered with another wet heavy snow storm,wrecks everywhere you look and this storm supposed to last till 5am tomorrow and another roll in early Saturday....bear hunting might be a long way out unfortunately.
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:07 pm

We’re get that too warm to snow but warm enough to rain and wash away all the tracks while melting the snow during the day, then re-freezing solid at night kind of weather.
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:39 pm

Well I finally got a smidge of good luck. I got my snowmobile running! I had to learn how to clean and reassemble the carburetor. Now I need to fix a few things on it and it will be ready for next season lol. Gonna try putting a different carb on my 6 wheeler and hopefully that’ll make it run better.
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:27 pm

Well the wife talked me into putting up the new play set for the kids, yesterday. It’s 2 stories with a balcony, two swings and monkey bars. That took the rest of the day. Might get time to finish putting the huntin truck back together, today before I go back to work.
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:17 pm

I gotta get a pig pen built but instead of doing that I went out today, trailed a 2 day old female. Dogs did great till they ran out of snow in the low country, the 2 youngest switched to a big boar coon down in a feed lot but were trailing it backwards through the cows :lol: I found the lion coming on the road but never could find it leaving

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogs”