Wolve Poll

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs

Wolves vs. Hunting Dogs

Would the wolf win against your dog?
10%
Would your dog win agaisnt the wolf?
3%
Would your pack protect itself against a pack of 8 wolves?
No votes
Would your pack be unable to protect itself against 8 wolves?
13%
Would you rather never find out?
74%

Total votes: 69
Moonshiner
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Wolve Poll

Postby Moonshiner » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:02 pm

Recently a lecture was given during one of my classes at the Land Grant school of Oregon, and A question was raised if it was punishable if a pack of dogs defended themselves against a wolf and killed it, if that was "legal". The answer has yet to be recieved back from the ODFW associated professor.

For those of you that arent current on Oregon's laws concerning our recent acceptance of wolves, rancher's/sportsman/citizens are currently not aloud to "dispatch" a wolf by themselves if it is attacking their livestock or pets. Or at least that was how the law was described to me, by the professor.

If any of ya'll have had encounters with wolves in anypart of the U.S. id like to hear about them, but please be vague and hypothetical when telling them, we need to keep ourselves safe from the "others".
3yo Bluetick "JD"
2yo Bulldog "Diesel"
1yo Redbone "JW"

USMC Kill 'Em All
WAcoyotehunter
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Re: Wolf Poll

Postby WAcoyotehunter » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:34 pm

pretty sure there are VERY FEW dogs that can defend against or whip a wolf. This is not a dog fight...it's more like a purse snatching.
Don't shoot to kill...Shoot to SURVIVE!
Idaho
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Re: Wolve Poll

Postby Idaho » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:39 pm

It would be no contest.
"Vive in libertate aut morere!"
Shrek

Postby Shrek » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:41 pm

I think a pack of hounds could handle 2-3 wolves but a pack of hounds would loose to a pack of wolves. But i would rather never find out.
larry
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby larry » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:31 pm

seriously????
Shrek

Postby Shrek » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:00 pm

ya cuz a pack of hounds can make short work of a single wolf or a pair so idk tho but i would rather not find out.
pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby pegleg » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:13 pm

hypothetical is it possible for a pack of hounds to defend themselves from a pack of wolves? absolutely. IS there currently a pack of hounds in the us capable of this? not a chance. Hunters have been breeding for characteristics that have nothing to do with wolf hunting for hundreds of years here in the US. The few wolf hunters in the past that used hounds in the US and there weren't many I could find referrence to, had hounds that had a tad bit of every wolf hunting breed,sheperd imaginable. the problem is the descendants of these old wolf hunting breeds have been softened and ruined by pet owners for generations. in order to find true represenatives you would have to scour the outlying areas of third world countries and former russia. The main reason I believe it could be done is that history has shown us how easily dogs can be bred and molded for our purposes and we have a far greater genetic base to start with now. so if dogging wolves ever becomes a legal method I would bet someone would come up with a pack that could get it done.
Big Mike
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Big Mike » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:26 pm

No pack of HOUNDS will win against even 1 wild wolf. Even the small mexican grey wolfs will outlast a hound. Its possible if a whole pack of hounds was able to jump a single wolf all at once and kill it. But thats not the way a wolf will fight. Read the Slash rnch hounds and that will show you what 1 wolf will do to a pack of hounds
larry
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby larry » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:00 pm

Shrek

Postby Shrek » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:54 pm

That is ok i just know for a fact a pack of hounds can handle one wolf and if there is a pair when u get one u go back and get the other. idc what other ppl think i have heard of it happening from my uncles. and seen what some hounds are capable of. :P
pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby pegleg » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:03 pm

I think this poll was started as a information gatherer for those hunters dealing with the lose of hounds and hunting areas due to wolves. for them this is a very serious debate. It follows those lines of the notorious bears etc. that have learned the weaknesses of hounds and how to deal with a pack of hounds. it doesn't happen often but when it does it usually goes like this animal gets run a few times and a situation occurs that let him realize it can handle a single hound in a fight then it realizes there's ways to string out the pack and even the odds. then eventually hunters hear about it and want to try their dogs against this animal giving it more experience. This becomes a real problem when this animal is female and the behavior is taught to her offspring. A female mountain lion teaching her young to feed on house dogs is rough on the hounds men that runs into her or her offspring. This behavior has been seen in some urban mt. lions. Wolves are intelligent ,territorial,aggressive and pack animals. That equals big problems for hunters and about anyone else that vacations or lives and works in their range. For those hunters in that situation it will require a change in tactics and hound styles to be even remotely likely to escape unscathed. They are probably putting a lot of thought into how they will deal with this problem. there is also a good chance that this is going to affect a good portion of us in various ways,wolf spread,displaced hounds men moving into available areas. more restrictions on hound hunting etc. wolves occupy prime big game / areas there will be a loss of prey species and a corresponding loss of out targeted big and small game species by depredation and loss of prey for themselves. The very reasons that wolf human relationships have been what they have. If people discuss the alternative means of dealing with the problem openly the more likely a solution acceptable to both sides will be reached.
coastrangecathunting
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby coastrangecathunting » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:36 pm

go to youtube and punch in golden eagles and wolfs it is awsome. unbeleivable.
jc
Pops
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Pops » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:43 am

BLACK RHINO
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby BLACK RHINO » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:00 pm

Having lost dogs to wolves before. And consistently running amongst them still. A single hound has virtually no chance of winning A one on one. The pack if they are together may have A chance of defending itself against one or two, But it will not be pretty. Against eight... The dogs that live are gonna be the ones that tuck tail and get lucky. If the pack is big enough and noisy enough A lone wolf or two likely won't come in on them but will be pissed they are in their territory. Something to keep in mind is that them old stories of hounds taking wolves were out of coyote hound packs that had A couple big kill dogs in them. And the packs of dogs being run then were considerably larger then what anyone around now would even consider running. Few around now feed packs of 15+ dogs anymore. Or even come close to running more then 4-6 at A time. Is it possible to run and kill wolves.. Sure but not with the dogs I have in my kennel now. If it was thirty or forty years ago and I had my old mans pack of yote dogs. Add me in another kill dog to match his ol' king dog. And I would give them A run for their money... As far as the legality of the situation. If it happened that your pack of dogs was out runnin A lion and got into A fight with A wolf and did manage to kill it. There is no possibility of A conviction. Odds of this actually happening are pretty remote regardless. A purpose built pack for it could be conjured up though. Can't remember if they have A specific name for them. But the Aussies pig dogs are A formidable little number. Pitbull, Greyhound crosses I believe. Tough N fast dogs. But sight hounds so still use A nose dog to get them there. Irish wolf hounds.. Think they got that name for A reason.. :roll: And the only mark to hit on the poll is the bottom one. You do not want to be in the situation to find out. Smart money will never be against the wolf. Cause the hounds out in the woods now are not bred for that fight.

Rhino.
IN THE TREE OR DIE TRYIN!!!!!
blueticker78
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby blueticker78 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:52 pm

I believe there is genetics with in our hounds that we could mold a wolf hound type out of but there isnt many hounds right now that are suited for hunting a timber wolf, you would need a good pack of hounds that hunted as a pack made up of dogs with a little more speed then the wolf but with a great deal of size and enduance enough to keep up with the wolf, then when the hounds do catch up they have to have enough fight left to dispatch the wolf and these dogs would have to have enough prey drive to want to catch and fight a wolf more then once and enough brains to fight the wolf or pack of wolfs using some inteligence this is not a easy predator to catch because 1 it is a pack animal 2 it is a inteligent animal and vicious killer 3 it would take alot of different abilities you may not find in anyone hound and your hounds or dogs have to hunt together and 4 most hounds are bred to chase game not be ambushed by it. The best suited dog I ever had was a big redtick he weighed about 125lbs no bull shit and he was tall about 30 inches and he was mean and he was a fast track dog i would have felt like he had a fighting chance against most single timber wolfs but he had a flaw he was nasty and wouldnt hunt with anything there was one big bluetick my uncle owned for awhile that he would hunt with but that was it he would kill another dog in the woods,so in order to build a wolf pack you would have to take about 10 of these type dogs and put them together as a pack and they would have to hunt together in order to keep your mortality rate down. it could be done but it would take sometime and your going to lose some hounds along the way.
Josh Walter

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogs”