problems with river ice

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
hndhunter
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

problems with river ice

Postby hndhunter » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:27 am

Has anyone lost a dog or had a dog fall through the ice while runnen this time of year?
cat and bear
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: problems with river ice

Postby cat and bear » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:31 am

A river is the most difficult and dangerous things to hunt around, during any of the winter months. I've got one which runs the heart of where i hunt. The ice and thickness can change daily, and the game uses it to their advantage, especially bobcat. The river averages about 50 yards wide. Bobcat will jump the 3 or 4 foot of open water back and forth, trying to loose the dogs. They will also run the edge of the ice, right beside the running water, in the middle, because they leave little scent, as there is usually no snow, close to the open water. In Dec, we were after a big boy. I sent a young guy with the dogs, for a half mile strip of river, as I knew the tricks would be played. He said the cat jumped the open water 8 times, in that half mile.

There has been more then one dog lost to rivers, over the years. But one thing which i noticed really helps, is leave the dogs nails long and sharp for the winter months. If they fall in, the nails help them pull themselves back up on the ice, I believe that is where most dogs run into trouble. Dogs, learn to adapt to it, run more heads up, and work the edges, to find the game leaving the river or water. A dog also has to adapt to running on it, which the sound of rapids, or running water is under their feet :shock: :shock: I've seen a few dogs lock right up, when they heard ice crack, or the sound of fast water, under their feet. In the area's I know, the ice is real bad, springs, etc. one of us will walk with the dogs, in case one falls through and cant get out. One thing I would suggest to anyone is carry a saw of some kind,and if your dog is in trouble, cut a 20 foot pole and ease to him, if you break through, it may save your life, by holding you up, to crawl to safety.
Paul Conway
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Paul Conway » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:55 pm

we lost one a number of years ago to the river. fell through the ice that edged both sides of the river and couldn't get back up on the ice and drowned. We used an axe the next day to chop him out after we found him under the ice with his tracker collar still working. We recovered him and buried him and retrieved his collar. took the collar apart and dried it out- and it continued to work just fine. Not a good couple of days back then. Keystonepaul
hndhunter
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby hndhunter » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:30 am

Thanks for the info guys, never ran around river ice before and needed some info. I went out the other weekend looked all over for a cat to run and didn't come up with anything. Decided to go fishin at the end of the day and walked down to the river and sure enough theres a cat track. Was going to grab the dogs but there was thin river ice and open water all over the place so decided better safe then sorry and find out if its even worth taken a risk like that or not. Thanks again!
cat and bear
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby cat and bear » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:58 am

maybe one thing to add, for rivers and ice. a ice chisel, like guys use for ice fishing, or you can make one, works good when walking up a river to get to the dogs. Flip it forward, and check the ice, with each step, it will keep you safe, and dry feet, and ever walk the edges, ice is safer toward the middle, and stay to the outside on any river bends. Good luck
shawn cole
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby shawn cole » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:04 am

i read in i believe it was full cry alot of old timers used to use females as thier ice pick doesnt get stuck on the ice when trying to get back on ice.sounds like it would help it that wasnt in the way
hndhunter
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby hndhunter » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:20 pm

Not a bad idea about the ice pick. Thanks for the help!

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogs”