pups and cataracts

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
Amonty
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

pups and cataracts

Postby Amonty » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:51 pm

Anyone every had a pup with a cataract? My 7 month old hound seems to be developing a small cataract in his right eye. Any suggestions, meds? :?: He had some greenish discharge coming out of his eye, flushed it last night with antibacterial soap. Thought the discharge might be because of the forest fires and all the smoke settling in our area.
Brindle
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Re: pups and cataracts

Postby Brindle » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:22 pm

Sounds to me like cherry eye. If it is that you will need to have a minor surgery for removal.
if it aint plott its all for not
a_olly
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Hunt primarily in the Southeast.

Postby a_olly » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:34 am

Is the whole eye cloudy or just a certain area of the eyeball? Is he squinting alot? Is he pawing at it? If yes what your describing sounds like a scratch or what they call an "eye ulcer". Take him to the vet so they can stain it, then get some triple antibiotic eye ointment. It's PAINFUL and he could lose his eye if it's not taken care of right.
Cherry eye is when there is extra pink tissue coming from the inside corner of his eye, this doesn't sound like cherry eye to me.
Good luck!
Also keep him outta the woods and weeds for a couple weeks.
Dr. Neal
Amonty
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Amonty » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:50 am

a_olly, The pup is not blinking alot and is not pawing at his eye, sat and watched him for about 15-20 minutes. He is not bumping or running into things. Still seems to be able to see. :?: :?:

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogs”